emergency brake

-- Hi

My 2002 Mazda 626 Emergency Brake does not work. WHen I park and pull up the handbrake, it won't stick. The brake comes right back down. I guess something is wrong after I drove over a big pot hole. I wonder what could go wrong with it. Does anyone know how to fix it? Thanks for your input.

Reply to
DD

Could the cable have snapped?

Dan TM.

Reply to
Daniel the Manual

Probably not connected to the pothole incident and probably not a broken cable.

When you apply the brake, the handle is held up by a pawl that ratchets on a set of teeth near the axis of the handle mechanism. When you release the brake you push a button that pulls the pawl off the teeth. Most likely something is wrong with this ratcheting pawl mechanism, maybe a broken spring. You might have to remove the center console to work on it, but this might be an easy thing to fix.

Before removing the console, try pushing and releasing the release button several times to see if you can free up the mechanism (the button might be stuck in)and maybe you could pull the cover or trim out of the way and spray a little WD40 on the mechanism.

Good luck, John

Reply to
John McClary