Help! '01 Previa engine problems :(

Hi,

Our '01 Previa (Petrol 2.4) has started experiencing odd engine problems. It's been increasingly difficult to start but does get there after 2 or three attemps, and today, after starting the engine just dies! If you give it a few revs and gradually bring it back to idle it will tick over, but kinda rough. Stick it in R or D, or even apply any load such as turning the wheel, and the engine dies.

MIL is not on, and no errors were reported the last time it was serviced.

Any ideas?!

Reply to
jonnie_ironic

Start with basics. Fuel supply/filter or water in the fuel. Check for spark, vacuum /air leaks (cracked, leaking, disconnected hoses). Perhaps it just needs tuneup parts. Plugs, wires, ect..

Reply to
user

As Ph@Boy suggested, check the ignition system - plugs, wires, rotor; check for vacuum leaks. Check the air filter. Make sure the coolant temperature sender is working properly and that the coolant level is full. Temporarily disconnect the EGR valve and plug the vacuum hose. If the problem clears up, the EGR valve may be stuck in the open position. If all that stuff checks out and it starts OK when warmed up, then check the cold start enrichment system.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks, yes i've gone over the basics, new filters / oil / plugs about

1000 miles ago. Had the AA out to look at it the other day, and the guy couldnt find any vacuum problems or leaks but suggested that the problem seemed to lie around the inlet manifold. I'm going to have a crack at getting to this tomorrow. Has anyone removed the inlet manifold before? If so, is it a tough job? Bear in mind this is a new style previa with the engine at the front, not underneath!

Thanks

Reply to
jonnie_ironic

I would not remove the intake (inlet) manifold unless you have replacement gasket handy. I have never seen one leak on a Toyota so it a leaking intake manifold or manifold gasket would be low on my list of things to check.

Check for holes, cracks, or gaps in the black plastic intake snorkel between the air filter and the throttle body. Check to make sure that the air flow sensor is plugged in and not fouled.

Reply to
Ray O