Help with weird noise on Avalon related to AC

Hello,

I've had a weird noise with a 2000 Avalon for several years now. Never knew it was related to any specific thing until today.

The noise seems to be coming from the steering column/dash near the radio console.

The noise is controlled by the AC. Strange but if the AC is on and set manually between 70 and 80 degrees the noise starts. Sounds like a vibration, or like the old speedometer cable came loose. Kind of like a clicking that changes pitch, up and down. Not ear shattering but annoying.

Now, if I turn the air up all the way to HEAT or all the way down to Cool the noise stops.

I believe there is a small valve that opens or closes according to the setting of the AC and when this valve, kind of like a butterfly, has AC air passing around it the vibrations starts.

Any thoughts? Can it be repaired? About how much will it cost?

Thanks for help.

Billy Boy

To reply correct [at] and [dot]

Reply to
Billy Boy

was related

manually between 70

noise stops.

the vibrations

Does the noise occur while driving, stopped, engine running in park, ect.? It might be two objects rubbing against each other only at the temperature range you mentioned. Can you or another get under the dash to troubleshoot while it is occurring?

Reply to
user

Noises are difficult to diagnose without hearing them first hand, but from your description, it sounds like one of the actuators for the dampers. It is a pretty complicated setup, but if you can see under the dash, you may be able to see the actuator that is causing the problem and give it a shot of silicone lube.

Reply to
Ray O

Also look for mis-assembled ac duct work. I had all kinds of noises coming from under my dash and I found that duct work design so that the front of top piece would fit into the bottom piece actually had been assembled in the opposite manner. This was in a 2001 which is the same design.

Reply to
Art

it was related

manually between 70

noise stops.

setting of the AC

the vibrations

Thanks.

The noise occurs while driving, stopped, engine running in park, etc. all the time depending on the temp. set on the AC. If the AC is set between 70 to 85, the noise is there. If the AC is set to a lower or higher temp the noise quits. Absolutely.

Billy Boy

To reply correct [at] and [dot]

Reply to
Billy Boy

I will take a look under the dash and report back my findings.

Thanks.

Billy Boy

To reply correct [at] and [dot]

Reply to
Billy Boy

I will take a look under the dash and see what I can see. I will report back.

Thanks.

Billy Boy

To reply correct [at] and [dot]

Reply to
Billy Boy

Whenever I get noises, the first thing I would do pound hard on the damn thing to see if it goes out, on your case on several parts of the dashboard on both instance when you set your temp to 70-80 and lowest and highest.

Reply to
EdV