Low operating temperature in my Mazda, still

I give up! I have flushed and filled the cooling system, put in a new thermostat, new radiator cap, and replaced the water pump (the old one was leaking under the timing belt cover) and STILL the engine does not get to operating temperature! I can't figure this one out.

Maybe I went a little heavy with the AF? I mixed about 60-40 since this is going to be primarily a winter car, but even with putting a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator it does not get up to temp unless idling for 7-10 minutes, and even then as soon as the car starts moving the gauge drops to cold.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Hachiroku

Connectors? With the car standing still, the wires hang one way. When it moves, they shake around and/or are blown to one side?

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

Connectors for which? I have checked the connectors for the gauge and the fan, and cleaned them and reconnected them.

I'm at a loss here...

Why is it everything I choose for a Winter car has no heat, and my Summer cars have no AC?

I guess I'll run the Supra for the winter...it can keep you roasting with the roof off!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Antifreeze should always be mixed 50-50 for optimal performance winter and summer.

Check voltage coming out of the coolant temp sensor for the cooling fans to make sure the cooling fans are not coming on too soon.

Reply to
Ray O

I...I..I've tried everything! The fan is operating as it should. The coolant level is good, the cap is new, yada yada yada. I just can't figure this one out.

Reply to
Hachiroku

My '68 Mustang had this problem, I solved it by using 2 different thermostats - 1 for the winter and 1 for the summer.

Reply to
Ray O

Let's see if I've got this straight. The old girl is hot to go before you start her up, but she cools off fast once you do? I hate to break it to you, mate, but maybe your technique needs a bit of work? ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

Arrrrggggghhhh!!!!!!!!! ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

I may have mixed the AF a little too 'thick'. I'll add water the next few times it needs topping...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Reply to
BigJim

NOPE...put it in like the manual said

Reply to
Hachiroku

Still, that should not cause the things that are happening. Try disconnecting the fans and see if it still happens.

Reply to
RT

DISconnecting it causes it to run! It must be a Ground-switching system.

Believe me, I've tried everything! And it's STILL cold!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Disconnect the power supply to the fans - I bet they won't run then!

Reply to
Ray O