new Avalon

My wife is really making noise about the 06 Avalon.

She drives an 02 now but likes look of new ones. Anyone have one? Pro's & Con"s?

She does want sunroof.

I suggested she waits until next year so they fix bugs if any but she doesn't seem to think that is relevant. She does love the 02 so might wait.

Ron

Reply to
ron

My wife is really making noise about the 06 Avalon.

She drives an 02 now but likes look of new ones. Anyone have one? Pro's & Con"s?

She does want sunroof.

I suggested she waits until next year so they fix bugs if any but she doesn't seem to think that is relevant. She does love the 02 so might wait.

Ron

Reply to
Bo

My wife is really making noise about the 06 Avalon.

She drives an 02 now but likes look of new ones. Anyone have one? Pro's & Con"s?

She does want sunroof.

I suggested she waits until next year so they fix bugs if any but she doesn't seem to think that is relevant. She does love the 02 so might wait.

Ron

Reply to
Bob H

Rent a Camry (if you have to), and take it on a trip of over a couple of hours. Do you still like the seats after that amount of time? For me, my wife and my son, Camry seats are nowhere NEAR as comfortable as the Avalon seats for longer drives (I have a 2002 Avalon and 2004 Camry). It's too bad, too... I love the Camry except for that. BTW, I'm 5'9", as is my wife, but my son is 6'1". I can't put my finger on exactly what's wrong, but no amount of adjusting makes it right. I think it's just too high in the front, under our knees for me... don't know about my (taller) son. We just know they're not great.

Reply to
Steve Henderson

I just took delvery on a new '05 Avalon Limited, so my opnion maybe a bit biased. I think the Avalon, especially the Limited trim level, is a luxury class sedan at a bargain price. One of the best values around, with some features not even available on the Lexus LS430. Plus ... it is fast, with 280 hp. Also efficient, rated at 31 mpg highway. This is an awsome car. You may have to wait to get a Limited, because they're often sold before delivery. This car is larger and more refined than the old Avalon. Reviews have been very positive ... and sales are excellent. There are now four trim levels. TK

Reply to
Just Me

I suppose it is a nice car, but Toyota, "best value," and an MSRP of over 30K just don't add up in my mind.

Ed

Just Me wrote:

Reply to
C. E. White

The auto buff magazines are reaching the same conclusion about Toyotas. Recently one did a comparison between the top six V6 mid sized cars. They rated the Camry number SIX. They rated all six rather closely and although the Camry compared favorably and a good car, they felt it was not worth the hugh difference in price compared to the other five. The Camry was over $9,000 more than the least expensive of the six and $5,000 more than the next expensive. The least expensive was rated number three on their list. When one considers their opinion was a comparison based on MSRP, imagine the even greater difference in actual drive home price in the market place.

mike hunt

"C. E. White" wrote:

Reply to
MikeHunt

I've not seen a comparison where the Camry (or any other Toyota product for that matter) came in last. Normally Toyota products are at the very top of the lists, and there are many lists that bear that out.

However, most importantly, we're focusing on the 2005 Avalon, and it is totally new and upgraded in every respect. It is generally less expensive than a Lexus ES330, and offers much more. Response to the new Avalon has been enthusiastic. I've read that they are selling at twice the rate of the 2004 Avalon.

I would expect Toyota to be just as ambitious in designing the next generation (2007) Camry. Unfortunately, Detroit is introducing disappointing cars like the new Buick LaCrosse, which has turned out to be a dud. When Toyota sales surge around 25%, and GM can't seem to get out of its chronic pattern of losses (despite big ads and rebates), even the biggest GM booster has to admit that something's wrong in motor city. Bob

Reply to
BushkaBob

I recently rented a late model Buick. It seemed to me that for a few hundred dollars they could have fixed all the anoyances, mostly petty stuff that adds up to a "I'll never buy another one of these" decision. Instead they start from scratch and come up with a new car that has its own annoyances that they will never address. That plus their failure to make sure that their bread and butter components like alternators hold up is why Toyota continues to gain market share. Ford looks in better shape with its

500 but they need to find a better engine for that car quick.

Reply to
Art

Thanks for the various responses. I have seen only the XLS 2005, as someone said, the Limited is gone before they get them.

Having oil change tomorrow (Monday) on Highlander.

As an aside, dealer here (Lithia) has a "Promo" price on the XLS which is a whole 1100 off MSRP, still at $31000!

Pretty stiff

Ron

Reply to
ron

Does the new Avalon have A timing belt or chain.

Reply to
magix23

Yes. ;)

mike hunt

magix23 wrote:

Reply to
MikeHunt2

Chain, its a 3.5 liter with well over 200 horsies!

Reply to
No one here

Reply to
Chester White

Yes, I suspect its complete buckets, not shims under or over bucket

Reply to
Liberals=Angry Losers!