Newbie has electrical question about 1993 Celica

Hello everyone. Nice to see a group committed to helping Toyota DIYers.

I own a 1993 Celica GT Liftback. The right pair of stop lights have stopped functioning. I have, of course, checked both bulbs and confirmed that both elements in the dual function bulbs themselves work fine (by plugging them into the left stoplight sockets). The wire harnesses in the taillight assembly all look fine. The wires are secure in the sockets-and isn't it strange that neither stoplight lamp works on that one side. I could see one socket getting loose or something, but both of them? That makes me think that it's a problem at a common termintation point. All other rear lights operate fine on the right assembly.

I don't know where to find the other end of those wires, but I'm wondering it there is a tie-in point besides at the brakelight switch itself. I have checked the fuses, which, if they were the cause of the problem, would have made both sides inoperable. There has been no damage to the car in which wiring might have been damaged.

Does anyone have a suggestion what to check next?

Phil

Reply to
pkadidlo

I would suggest you inspect the wiring harness that comes from the chassis and makes its way through the rear lid. It is possible some wires got pinched somehow or frayed from years of the rear lid being opened and closed. This is assuming the lights that do not work are on the rear hatchback lid. If you cannot find anything obvious then you will have to get a voltmeter and ensure you are getting a good ground and voltage at the sockets. The stoplights probably have a common ground or a common hot and receive the other side of the circuit when the switch is depressed. If still nothing you could try removing the plug from the socket and running a temporary pair of wires from the other side that works to make sure the socket isn't bad.

Reply to
badgolferman

If you want to diagnose electrical problems in a car, a volt/ohm meter is a very worthwhile investment. You can get a basic one for under $40 at Radio Shack. With your meter or test light, check for voltage coming to the socket contacts, using the hatch striker as a ground. If you have voltage, the socket's ground is bad. You can look for where the socket is grounded, or you can run a new ground wire. If you do not have voltage, then there is an open in the circuit. The most likely place is where the wire harness passes through pinch points, like where it passes through the top of the hatch.

Reply to
Ray O