Newbie Question About HubCaps

I have a 1966 beetle with 5 lug hole 15 inch steel wheels. My question is this; how do I determine what size hub caps it uses? The reason I ask is have found hub caps from various places all claiming that they'll fit the wheel, but the measurements they have given me ranges from 9 inches to 10 inches. So I take my trusty tape measure out to the car, and try to figure out the size, that's when i get lost. I havent a clue from what point to what point i should measure because there are 3 "tabs" around the wheel that if one was to draw a line from one to another would form a triangle. Obviously the hub cap fits between them, however I can't figure out how to get an accurate measurement. Need some help here. Please keep it simple because if it goes much beyond basic math I get start getting lost.

Thank You, patrick

p.s. If you see this post over in another NG please forgive me.I wasn't pay attention and posted over in the water cooled VW area.

Reply to
BrotherPatrick
66 and 67 wide 5 lug wheels have slots around the out side of the rim face and have there own hub cap if your rims have solid face then there 65 down rims and need half moon caps.
Reply to
Kafertoys

You need 1966-1967 hubcaps. These are flat shaped, but with a different fixing to the later caps.

'66-'67 caps have a ridge around the outside of the part that clips on the wheel, whereas later ones it clips to the wheel using the ridge on the inside of the cap.

They should be the same as the ones on my '66:

Howard Rose

I didn't quite understand about the ridge until this evening when I got my catalog from BFY:Obsolete Parts. They had a picture of a hub cap for a 5 lug wheel and between your photo and their illustration now I understand. I really appreciate your help. Thank you.

Reply to
Brorther Patrick