OT Home Schooled wins spelling bee!

You assigned no task.

Let's turn your question around: If a family can afford the best in private education, how can the result be a person who can't assemble sentences and ideas any better than a 6th grader?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

That's better. Or, most people never run into many of the words used in spelling bees. Did you see the word the kid spelled correctly in order to win?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

A load of towels in my dryer is still damp. I think it's because I haven't paid my cable bill yet.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Most are. But you never know where the exceptional child will come from. The home-schooled kids I know (and, as a Scout leader, I do get to know some), are behind the public school kids. When their parents give up and send them to public school, the school has qutie a time catching them up.

You might bear in mind that the home schools get to pick who they home-school. Public schools take all comers. If I was home-schooling a smart kid who was naturally driven (and you have to be driven to win the National Spelling Bee - it's actually a lot of work) and I could work with him at just his speed without the distraction of 29 other kids, he'd be doing calculus by age 12.

How often do you find that opportunity?

Maybe you should spend some time in a public school and find out what's going on. One of their difficulties is dealing with the failed home schoolers.

By the way, around here, the public school does quite well compared to the private ones. The local fundy school does very poorly, indeed. At the public high school, we have 30 to 40 kids vying - busting their assses - to be valedictorian, every year. The GPA difference for the top 10 kids will be .1 or less and it will be well over 4.0. Kids from this school go to MIT, Notre Dame (and the one I know that went to ND got a scholarship there), University of Chicago, Stanford, just about any top school you could name. We routinely get a kid into the service academies.

Reply to
dh

I've been trying to tell you that for quite some time.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I'm mirroring your reasoning. Stupid, isn't it?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

And many simply don't have the interest/inclination. They may be bright kids, but their interests are elsewhere.

Cathy

By definition, a spelling bee only has the best

Reply to
Cathy F.

Not the North American colonies, which they took over from the British.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Was he actually home schooled? Scripps' official website for the spelling bee says he's a student at Venture School in San Ramon, CA.:

13-year-old California boy wins Scripps National Spelling Bee (NYSE: SSP)

For immediate release Fri, June 1, 2007

WASHINGTON - Evan M. O'Dorney, a 13-year-old speller from Danville, Calif., won the 2007 Scripps National Spelling Bee Thursday night.

O'Dorney was named the Scripps National Spelling Bee Champion in the

13th round after correctly spelling the word "serrefine," which is defined as "a small forceps for clamping a blood vessel."

O'Dorney, the son of Michael and Jennifer O'Dorney, represented the Contra Costa Times in Walnut Creek, Calif., in this year's competition. O'Dorney is an eighth grade student at Venture School in San Ramon, Calif.

larry moe 'n curly

Right....

They were liberals.....

ROFL

Reply to
Scott in Florida

No wonder you have no friends.....

You are a total ass.....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Typical Joey move.

Go do your assigned task and get back to us.....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Reply to
Scott in Florida

A pontifical one, LOL.

Reply to
dbu,.

Yes. Turn your question around to befuddle you.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

What about previous identical spelling bees? Who won them? Let me know.

At 100k miles, a Camry's engine completely seizes. One Camry. What does this mean?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Uh oh. Facts.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

We (actually, my wife) home schooled our two oldest kids for two years when we lived in an area with an abysmal school system. I have to say that these were two very good learning years. All the subjects were integrated. We used a school called "Calvert." It's actually a school physically located in Virginia that serves a lot of State Department and other home schoolers. The paperwork indicates the kids attended Calvert School. jor

Reply to
jor

What's the conservative answer to education, school prayer? They're as big of a joke as the liberals.

The problem with schools is that there is a larger and larger group of kids that don't want to learn, have behavior problems, or can't even speak English. Yet they can't remove these kids from the classroom, because theses kids worthless parents, who don't take any interest in the kids education are the first to scream and sue the schools because there kid isn't learning.

As for home schooling, most of the time it is a disaster, because the parents aren't qualified or capable of doing this. When they finally give up, and send these kids back to school, they are an even bigger burden to the teachers. Home schooling only works if you have a stay at home parent who is educated and capable of doing this. Even then most home shoolers attend some school classes, at least by the time they are in high School.

Reply to
ToMh

By this ever-so-eloquent reply, I'm left to assume that you think the number of children one teaches (at any given time) has no effect on how well one can teach those children, focusing on their individual strengths & weaknesses? That teaching one (or 3) would yield the same results, child-to-child, as teaching 20 - 30?

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.