OT: The big story on the Today Show this morning...

moved me so much I had to send NBC an e-mail about it:

Wow! Imagine, the President of Sudan has been arrested and indicted for the atrocities in Darfur, after all these years! What a great news story. It got a 30 second mention, tossed in with the other 'news of the day'.

But the big story for today? Angelina Jolie gave birth to twins!!!! Oh, boy! A whole five minutes devoted to the story! I really liked the hushed tones Ann and Matt used when reporting the story, as if we were all right there in the delivery room with the mother and the new twins...

I am really surprised. Ann is a noted Humanitarian, and has been advocating something be done for Darfur for a long time, and a gigantic break comes in the story, but instead of reporting the news, she gives five minutes to something most Americans don't really care about.

I think I will be spending more time with Good Morning America. They seem to have a better handle on what's news and what's fluff. Maybe the fluff gets you ratings; no thanks, I'm more interested in news.

Maybe the next time there's a big story, some celebrity won't be giving birth and you'll actually cover something interesting.

Reply to
Hachiroku
[snipped]

They are providing news to the lowest common denominator, the American Idol crowd.

Reply to
badgolferman

Yup. I'm so sick of Brangelina, Twitney, Lindsey, Paris and all the other vapid wastes of oxygen out there.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

You must be this channel's retard.

Go f*ck yourself retard!

Reply to
The Henchman

I suspect their marketing data tells them that plenty in their audience are interested in some movie star's baby, even though it's a pathetic comment on their audience.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

And many of the girls that age want to be just like them. Where are their parents? Oh, I know, they're off having a cultured toke somewhere. Or maybe the went to the Bong Recreational Area off I-94 in Wisconsin. (Wonder how many people have been arrested for taking their bong to the Bong Recreational Area? BTW, Wisconsin got tired of replacing the sign and changed it to the Richard Ira Bong Recreational Area. Frankly I don't care whose bong it is.)

Charles the Curmudgeon

Reply to
CharlesTheCurmudgeon

Your time stamp is still messed up. Do you have the proper time zone selected? Maybe your Linux box is accessing a time server that's wrong.

Reply to
badgolferman

First, if you think Ann Curry has any say whatsoever in what news she's handed to read, think again. She's a news reader, and only in feature stories where she's out of the studio does she have any input what goes into a story or stays out of a story. Otherwise she's a READER. Second, if she ever put her foot down and said "I need triple the time allotted for the Darfur story and cut down Jolie-Pitt's birth announcement by half the time slot" she'd find herself on the sidewalk outside 30 Rock when her contract expires. or sooner. Probably about the only tv journalist who has much clout at all is Jim Lehrer.

Reply to
mack