SNOW TIRES for warm and cold weather???

Hi,

I plan to drive my camry to Florida from Canada in the middle of winter. I cannot use all season tires, as they are not suitable where I live, as temp is too cold. I do not wish to carry all season tires in trunk of car and switch them upon arrival in Florida.

Is there a winter tire on the market that can withstand the mid 70 or less temp in Florida in the winter season without wearing out?

What brand and or model do you recommend? Kindly reply by posting only.

Thanks.

Big Rog

Reply to
bigrog_98

Bridgestone LM-22 is a candidate.

Reply to
FanJet

What flavor of Canada - Urban near the border, or way north?

When do you plan to go back? (still Winter, Spring, Summer?)

This came up before recently, and the best suggestion I heard was wait for the weather forecast to be mild, switch to all season tires at home, bring a set of chains just in case, and then stick to plowed major highways and watch out for Black Ice till you get to the warmer spaces south of the Mason-Dixon Line.

Full on snows are AFAIK totally incompatible with even lukewarm weather. You'll chew the tread off in no time.

There are supposed to be some special Snows made that have a harder compound underneath, meant for one years' use - when summer comes the soft compound chews off, then you drive the summer on the hard compound, then you buy new snows again in the fall. But that concept sounds like a total waste to me, and wouldn't work for you.

Another thought: Can you change tires along the way, and then ship the snow tires home? You'd need to.... Nevermind. Fuhgeddaboudit. You'd have to do it just north of the border - shipping them back from the States is out. Canadian Customs would certainly bollix that up, unless there was an exemption you could quote on the shipping forms you'd have to pay duties to import your own used snow tires.

Trailer hitch and small trailer? Switch tires along the way, throw the snows on the trailer and tie them down, and park the trailer for the duration when you get to Florida. Extra advantage being you can probably buy good tires in the States cheaper, even after the exchange rate.

The trailer would also be useful for hauling home any Stuff you find along the way that won't fit in the trunk. And I won't go into what kinds of Stuff, because people collect everything imaginable under the sun - and then some. If you or your spouse collect heavy Stuff like steel anvils or cast iron wood stoves, it should of course be a very stout trailer... ;-P

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

ADDENDUM:- To whom ever who cares. I purchased yokohama winter tires.

Roger

Reply to
bigrog_98

Okay, but what are you going to do when you head to Florida?

They don't do winter down there, it just gets a bit cool, sometimes wet, and sometimes windy - seriously windy.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Last winter I drove down from Albany, NY to south Fla on a set of Dunlop M3's. They tended to understeer a bit in the 80 degree F weather but they did not suffer any major wear. I hit major snow and ice on the way back so it was a good decision. Some snows would scrub themselves to death in that heat. Keep the pressure about 5 lb cold above standard tires, up to the max printed on the tire.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard