Cold weather start

I am looking at buying a new Mini Cooper. Living in Minnesota, I want a car that starts in cold weather. I have been driving Japanese cars for several decades with excellent reliability, including performance in the cold. In fact, the dealer in Duluth where I bought my current Nissan said they have to pull in the American cars from the lot when the temperature drops below freezing or they won't start; they never worry about the Japanese cars. My Nissan has started down to -20 degrees without using a headbolt heater. Does anyone know how the Minis do in cold weather?

Thanks.

John

Reply to
octobercountry

Living in St. Paul, my MINI has started every time. The engine sometimes dies after a block, but if you keep the RPMs up for the first minutes, you will be ok.

Reply to
Spitfire 1500

In St. Cloud Mn. my 2004 S has always started after sitting outside for long periods, but not without a couple complaints. First, it will turn over but not even try to start. After a second or two, I turn off the key, try again and it starts right up, sort of like it needs to be reminded that it is cold outside (the computer). Then the check engine light comes on for the next 5 starts, then goes away. When underway, it heats up rapidly for good interior heating (also get the heated seats!) It will then also remind you that it is below 37 degrees F on the readout (yes, I knew that already!) It is really great on ice and in snow, only stopped by really deep snow. I tend to turn off the traction control when at a busy intersection, since I am more comfortable with the wheel spin at start on ice or snow than I am with the really slow acceleration the system allows you when the control is switched on. In Duluth, you could always just park "nose down" and release the brake to bump start it..... Greg

"octobercountry" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Greg Meyers

Thanks to you both! You removed my last hesitation in buying a Mini! I'm off to the dealer next week.

Best,

John

Reply to
octobercountry

I don't want to put you on the fence again, but there are several threads at mini2.com discussing other cold weathe problems, mainly door lock issues. I don't know whether these represent just normal problems with all cars in cold weather or whether the Mnii has unique problems.

Personally, if I had one car and lived in Minnesota, I'd probably get a Subaru WRX.

- Mark

Reply to
markjen