Somewhat OT: idiot drivers discussion

Pet peeves:

  1. Idiot tailgaters. I'm on a twisty two-lane with no passing zones, the car in front of me is poking along at 5 MPH below the speed limit, and I can't pass. The car behind me (usually a 5,000-lb SUV) is following so close to me I can only see their grille in my rear-view, as though trying to push me to go faster. I can't go faster because there is a car in front of me. If I have to brake for a deer or something, I'm going to get hit by the SUV. Makes me want to be able to drop tire-slashers. What's wrong with maintaining a safe distance from the car in front of you?

  1. Lane hogs. I need to change over to an adjacent lane in which there is a car ahead of me and one behind me, with enough room between the two of them for me to move in. The space is staying the same size because the cars' speeds are the same. I signal to change lanes so that I will move in between the two cars. Immediately the one in back floors it to close up the space and block my attempt to enter the lane. What's wrong with allowing someone to enter a lane ahead of you?

  2. Slow mergers. Someone is entering a freeway, driving a car you KNOW can get up to freeway speed well before the end of the onramp, but they merge into the freeway going 10-15 miles slower than the flow of traffic, causing everyone behind them to slam on their brakes. Within a mile or two, they gradually accelerate to the same speed everyone else is going. What's wrong with getting up to highway speed *before* you merge onto the freeway?

  1. Stupid passers. On a four-or-more lane freeway, I'm driving in the right lane. Someone comes up behind me and passes me on the left, so far so good, but the instant their rear bumper passes my front one, they swerve back into the right lane as though their life depended on it. Now, is someone were coming up fast behind them in the left lane or if we're on a two-lane and someone is coming from the opposite direction I could sort of see it, but I'm talking about instances on a four-lane where there are no other vehicles trying to pass. What's wrong with allowing a respectable distance between your car and the car you're passing before you move back into the right lane?

  2. Slowpokes. If you drive so much slower than the main flow of traffic that you create a seriously dangerous situation, you should have your license suspended.

  1. Speed freaks. We've all seen the car weaving from lane to lane, passing on the left, squeezing into spaces 9/10ths of a car length long and causing utter chaos, just to be a two or three car lengths farther ahead at the next stop light. Arriving at your destination two seconds sooner is not going to make a major difference in anyone's life, so stop driving like an asshole and endangering other drivers' lives

And of course, people who drive in the left lane and never move over to let others pass..

Reply to
Ernie Sty

*snip*

Feel better?

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

The problem is the slowpoke in front of you.

Only problem with that is now they wil have to wait another car to get ahead of the pack.

Cell phone user who has no idea there is a speedometer to use.

They realized they were goint too fast and didn't want to get clocked by the troper ahead.

Biggest problem on the road.

See number 1.

This category used to be the dominion of old men with hats, but has been taken over by cell phone users in their own world.

Reply to
badgolferman

ROFL!!

Reply to
Ernie Sty

That's one problem, but that in no way excuses the asshole tailgater behind me, who deserves to have his nuts shot off for endangering my life. The slow driver in front cannot make the person behind me tailgate. Every driver has to decide for himself how much room to give the car in front, and is he chooses not to give him any room it's his choice, not the choice of the fool at the front of the line.

No, that's not the only problem by a long shot, and it's an assholish thing to do.

That could be one cause.

That makes no sense at all. Think about it. If you realize you're going too fast, you slow down. There's no reason to dive into another lane 5 inches in front of another car.

It's a problem but not the biggest by a long shot, but it's interesting that you believe that.

Blaming your shitty driving on someone else is something that speed freaks do. But just because everyone else is going 50 MPH and you want to go 80, or everyone is going 70 MPH and you'd like to go 100, it's not someone else's fault if you choose to weave in and out of traffic like a moron, putting other people's lives at risk; it's entirely your own fault.

Reply to
Ernie Sty

I have a million such rants, and I think I've posted about 1/4 of them so far. One I saw today:

Line of traffic getting off the highway, cars are backed up 1/4 mile all with turn signals on, and the 'special' driver of a van shoots up the white line of the ramp to gain 4-5 spots. Putz...

Reply to
SupraGenius

Speed of the vehicle in front of you is inversely proportional to:

The number of hats on the rear parcel shelf (double if driver is wearing one!)

Number of dogs in vehicle with driver. One of the dogs could probably drive faster!

IF the driver with the dogs is wearing a hat, double again...

Reply to
SupraGenius
[snipped]

Easy, Ernie. I was just giving you the perspective of the person you are ranting about. I agree with most of what you said, but having learned to drive in Washington, D.C. area made me a more aggressive driver than the average American. Since I left that area I have calmed down quite a bit.

Reply to
badgolferman

Heh. Sorry, I guess I tend to get a little emotional about this. Apparently I need to learn the anagram word my name is based on.

Yeah, last time I rode in a car in DC (never did drive there) they were pretty nuts. But that was a while ago, I think 1977 or so.

Reply to
Ernie Sty

Yeah, I forgot all about that one!

Reply to
Ernie Sty

snip

Here in Canada, the signs say "Keep Right Except For Passing". In the US, they say: "Slow Traffic Keep Right". Well, guess what, the BDC's in the left lane driving the speed limit don't believe they drive slow. This being said, we have our left lane hoggers in Canada too but the problem may not be as serious.

Reply to
Bassplayer12