squeeky springs

Ok, I love my new struts, sincerely.

But....

My bumpy driveway can make my springs squeek and I can make them squeek by strongly bouncing bumpers.

Besides OCD meds or road surface repair, any sort of common reasonable maintenance to address this?

BTW my mechanic said springs are ok, car sits level.

88 Toyota Corolla FX 164k miles.

Thanks very much.

Reply to
john

Did this squeaking begin just after strut replacement? Ray O may know this particular vehicle to post to you, but sometimes the factory installed springs are installed with a plastic "sleeve" where contact is made with the spring pockets on the strut. They are usually placed on replacement springs using compressed air and sometimes a lubricant and or heat to ease installation of the sleeve. Perhaps if the old springs were used, either the sleeve at contact point is worn or missing. Springs should never have to be lubricated. It may not be a spring making the noise. If you are capable and can do it safely, have someone "bounce" the car gently while you localize where the noise is coming from. It just may be a steering or suspension component such as lower control arm bushings. You may want to return to your mechanic and demonstrate the issue. They should be able to pinpoint it. OBTW, just because the car sits level does not indicate that the springs are still serviceable, it just means that on a car with 164k that you have even wear. Have your mechanic measure the vehicle height specification to make certain that the springs are within limits. If it is not within limits you need replacement springs. IMHO, Good luck.

Reply to
user

The coil springs on struts generally do not squeak, so I would look to make sure that the nut that secures the strut is properly tightened, and at the sway bar bushing. The sway bar bushing is generally held in a place with a bracket that is secured with one bolt. Remove the bracket, pull the bushing off, clean it up, apply some bushing lubricant, and put it back together. Ford dealer parts departments have a suspension bushing lubricant that is very effective. It comes in a tube, just smear some on the inside of the bushing, wrap the bushing on the sway bar and twist to spread out the lube, and you should be good to go in about 5 or 10 minutes per bushing.

Reply to
Ray O

It was squeeking before the new struts. I can produce the noise on all four corners of vehicle. For the most part I am forcing the noise by bouncing hard. Although there is some squeeking really only on bumpy unpaved road.

Gentle bouncing isn't going to reproduce the sound.

There is somewhat of a rattle that is much better with new struts but is still there but faint. That could be just about anything.

Really it is in way better shape than it was.

Reply to
john

You might want to check the exhaust system. The squeaking may be a hanger, pipe, or clamp rubbing on another area of the car when in motion.

Reply to
user