Steering wheel lock not releasing

Got an '00 Avalon with 60k miles. Went to drive off today but the steering wheel wouldn't unlock. No problem with ignition switch or gear shift-- I could start the car, shift through all gears and the car drove fine-- except the steering wheel is locked and can't be turned.

Any ideas to fix?

Reply to
Fast Edddie

I would strongly advise you to have the car towed in to the Toyota dealer. The steering column may need to be disassembled and repaired. The bigger issue is that if you were to manage to start the car and it unlocks and drives normally, it may at any time lock the steering while the vehicle is in motion, you loosing control, and I won't mention the rest. I hope you get the idea. Have a person well trained and experienced examine this Ed. Don't chance it IMHO. Good luck.

Reply to
user

I have never heard of a Toyota where the steering wheel lock would not unlock, and the only thing I can think of is that the steering universal joint is binding, but that is a low likelihood at 60 k miles.

I think it is time to have it towed to the dealer for diagnosis and repair.

Reply to
Ray O

Here's where it is. I took everyone's advice and called a tow truck. The TT driver took a look at it first before hooking me up and paritally pulled open the plastic cover on the steering column just behind the steering wheel. Somehow he managed to free the wheel so it turned.

I drove the car slowly about 2 miles down a straight, flat, low traffic road to the Toyo dealer who's got it now. I'll post the outcome- hopefully tomorrow and as long as I can still afford my ISP bill...

Thanks for the suggestions.

Ed

Reply to
Fast Eddie