Suggestion regarding Strut , Lower Control Arm change ?

Hi,

Recently while getting wheel balancing done for a Toyota Corolla 99 model, the technician recommended getting the struts checked. The Pepboys auto suggested the following repairs :

  1. Replace Front Struts -- $ 90 each
  2. Replace Lower Control Arm -- this was loose -- $ 370
  3. Replace Inner Tie Rod Ends -- $ 66 * 2

Along with some other supplies and the wheel alignment the total cost comes out to be $ 1300.

Was just wondering if all these are absolutely essential ? m guessing the struts would need to be changed for sure. Any advice or pointers would be helpful.

Thanks in advance, vivekian

Reply to
vivekian

If you are replacing the front struts because they are worn out, the determining factor replacing the lower control arm (I'm guessing bushings only if they can), and tie rod ends, will be if after strut replacement when alignment will not be able to meet and or maintain specification; meaning that whenever you replace front struts the vehicle will require an alignment to specification. I would also suggest that the upper strut bearings be checked as well. You did not mention the vehicle's mileage, road driving conditions (dirt roads, ect.). I would also suggest that you obtain several diagnosis and pricing. Thirteen hundred dollars seems a bit high IMHO. Good luck.

Reply to
user

If the struts actually need replacement and you have them replaced at a Toyota dealer with genuine Toyota parts, you will have a lifetime parts AND labor warranty for as long as you own the car, honored at any Toyota dealer in the U.S. or Canada. Check Pep Boy's warranty - many places offer a lifetime replacement on parts but the warranty does not include labor or associated parts like nuts and bolts.

You did not mention mileage or road conditions that the vehicle is usually driven on, but lower control arm and tire rod end problems are not common on Corollas so I would get another opinion.

Reply to
Ray O

Yes, thats the question. Have a feeling they might have over exaggerated a bit. Is there a way to find out on ones own e.g. any signs of wear and tear etc ? The steering wheel tends to shiver / shake at speeds greater than 60 miles per hour.

I will keep that in mind.

The car has been driven mostly on freeways and city roads in Houston, TX. So no major dirt road driving as such. The car has travelled around 139540 miles. Not too sure about the mileage but as an approximation i refill around 9 gallons after around 200 miles of driving.

Thanks, Vivekian

Reply to
vivekian

There are several things that can make the steering wheel shake. Unbalanced wheels are the most common cause. Other possibilities are a tire problems like a broken belt or uneven tire wear; bent wheel; and loose rack ends, which are sometimes referred to as tie rod ends. Worn struts can make the steering wheel shake, but I would put them at the bottom of the list of likely suspects.

If you bounce on the front bumper, the car should stop moving after 1 or 2 bounces. If it does, then the struts are probably OK. Check the struts for leaking oil. Check the tires for uneven wear, a scalloped appearance on the outer tread, and bumps or bulges on the tread or sidewalls. Check the wheels for obvious dents or deformation. As an aside, I recommend that you do not get your car serviced by someone who calls a wheel a "'rim" because IMO, they do not know what they are talking about or at the least, do not how to properly convey information about the wheels.

By "mileage," I meant the odometer mileage, not fuel economy. ;-)

I would imagine that the roads in Houston are much kinder to tires and suspensions than the roads in the snow belt. 140,000 miles may be near the mileage life of struts although it is not uncommon for them to last longer, especially when the vehicle is driven on mostly smooth roads.

Reply to
Ray O

Ray O : Thanks.

Reply to