Toyota Carina M reg Estate for scrap

I have a Toyota Carina M reg Estate that had failed the mot on the co last year. I am about to scrap it. Some guys on the yellow pages said they will come and collect it for free? I know that the radio still works and I am keeping that. Is there any other part that is worth keeping or is it worth the trouble to sell it bits by bits?

Reply to
john smile

Go into more detail on the car - year, motor and transmission type, what kind of condition the car is in, the mileage on the motor, tires, brakes, etc.

If it's something simple to fix to pass the smog checks (and the rest of the car is solid) it might make a lot more sense (and you a lot more money) to fix the problem, and then sell the car off as used

- while it runs good and you can get top dollar.

You can /always/ find an auto dismantling yard that's eager to "come take it away for free" - even after they pay the tow truck for their time and take the labor to part it out, they'll still make some serious cash on the deal selling it as pieces, Sell a fender and a door and the tow bill is paid, anything past that is profit.

Then when they've stripped off all the repair parts people will pay them for, they sell what's left for scrap metal and get between $50 and $250 more, again after transportation. The only cost is labor to break it down and separate it for reclamation.

Beside all the steel in the body and chassis there's gold and copper in the electronics, copper in all the wiring harnesses, big chunks of casting grade alloy aluminum in the engine and transmission and alternator, silver and platinum and palladium and rhodium and other expensive stuff in the catalytic converters...

The trick is to get them to come take it away /and/ pay you for part of that residual value.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman