Toyota Carina steering rack

My flatmate has a N reg Carina which he's had for years but the steering rack is leaking power steering fluid so needs replacing. Toyota told him it was a full engine out job and quoted him over 900 quid but a breaker on ebay has quoted me 45 quid including postage for a second hand one. Question is, how difficult is it to fit? Its not a job I've ever done before. Just having a quick look at it it doesn't look like the whole engine needs to come out, looks like it should just drop out from underneath once all disconnected. All advice gratefully received chaps! Gareth

P.S. He's been driving it for a while without any power steering and now has forearms and shoulders like Arnie but would this be an MOT failure?

Reply to
Gareth Watkins

oh yes deffinantly.

Reply to
reg

Autodata says 1.9 hours, so it shouldn't be too dear even at a dealers.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful