Toyota vs Nissan

Hello,

After 287,000 miles, my 85 Toyota pickup finally needs to be replaced :(

Vehicles under consideration are a Nissan Maxima or a Toyota Avalon or Camery (1995 to 1998).

My mechanic suggests that I stick with Toyota, but says that the Maxima isn't a bad car.

I am aware that Nissan doesn't use the best brake rotors in the world, and I'm kinda concerned that the engine uses 6 ignition coils (!). I am sure people here will have other (horror) stories to add...

As far as my Toyota choices go, what should I be aware of in trying to choose between an Avalon and a Camery within the model years 95-98?

TIA

noneyabusiness
287,000 miles on the Toyota and you need to ask?

I'd go with the '95 or '96 Camry.

Look for one that's received tender loving care, and has full service documentation. Four cylinder is easier to work on and generally more popular, unless you've got to have extra power.

Colllision damage on your '85? My '77 Toyota longbed pickup is still going strong. Factory air even still works. Runs just fine - no problems. (although almost everything's been replaced - still cheaper than buying another) (odometer flips over at 100,000 miles so I prefer not to count how many times but I used to put a lot of miles on it driving all over the Southern part of the state.)

Reply to
nospampls2002

Yeah, it's been through a few fender benders :( Grill, hood and bumper need replacing, along with a good coat of paint. The interior needs help, too. It's simply time to retire the truck.

Now I need to go out and actually sit in / drive the Avalon or Camery. I like the Maxima for it's power/weight ratio, and the Avalon is close, but the Camery (V6) has way less torque :(

noneyabusiness

Hi, I'm too a fan of Toyota cars, but when I was looking for an used Sienna

98-2000, I have found some unbelivable discussions about old sludge problem with Toyota . You can read at these links:
I can not decide if I will buy a Sienna , I don't have budget to buy2002 and newer models.So probably I will look for an Honda Odyssey . Regards

Reply to
Thomas T.

watch out for Odyssey transmission issues for certain years.

Reply to
ma_twain

Join our official Forums at http://board.**************.com and learn more about this next generation Cannonball Run Greetings,

K i m b l e Founder of the Ultimate Rally. w w w . k i m b l e . o r g

Reply to
Freggel12
287,000 miles??? Congratulations! That's awesome! ;)

I would definitely go with another Toyota. Nissan's quality has improved over time, but Toyota is still superior, especially if you're considering a 7-year-old car. Whether or not you go for the Camry or the Avalon, you may want to call Toyota Customer Service with the VIN number to find out whether they are involved in any recalls or in the oil gel program.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
ggal