1993 camry ignition lock up

I can't get my key to turn the ignition. The steering wheel is locked to the right and there is a bit of play, but when I try to wiggle the steering wheel and turn the key, nothing happens. I know people have these lock type problems all the time and it was working fine the day before, but it is totally locked up now. Is there any trick to getting this thing to turn without having to take it into the dealer or a shop? I'm driving cross country and don't really have time to take it in.

Reply to
cobolt

Try a newer key, try a lube in the lock. Try pulling wheel to the right.

Reply to
m Ransley

Ive had it locked maybe turned where forcing the wheel releases the key, like the steering is forcing against the key now and only more force pulls it off the lock,

Reply to
m Ransley

Problems of this type with that age vehicle typically result from mechanical wear on the profile of the key. Had one re made from the original key number at the dealer and the two keys didn't even look the same, but after a while of "breaking in" the new key, works flawlessly - was just a little stiff at first. If you had a spare original key that would be good. Dealers should also be able to make a new key from the original code, often available from the VIN# if you lost the code.

Reply to
Daniel