92 Camry XLE

I just got my license. We?ve had this car for over a year now, bought it from my brother?s friend. It ran fine. All of a sudden, as I was driving it yesterday afternoon to my mom?s house, it started making a funny sound.

Funny sound as in it sounded like there was gravel inside the engine every time I hit the accelerator.

I know NOTHING about cars besides where to put the gas and how to drive one, so non-techincal responses would be helpful.

Anyways, back to the story...

I was driving it, it was making these sounds, then as I turned onto my street to get home, the SOB up and died on me as I was driving it. The power steering went out, the gas stopped working, everything shut off. The lights still worked, though, so I know it?s not the battery.

The AAA guy said it MIGHT be the alternator, but he wasn?t sure, so tomorrow I?m getting it diagnosed at Car Care Plus (a AAA facility), but I need to know...how much are alternator replacements going for these days? My mom said she?d help out up to $500. After that, we?re screwed.

Thanks.

Reply to
ginnaericka

Sounds like the water pump. The 'gravel' description is spot-on as to what a bad water pump bearing sounds like. Since it is driven by the timing belt, once it breaks the tbelt is rendered useless, and the engine shuts off. As far as the bill, you should be able to find a shop to do a water pump tbelt job for less than 500.

Reply to
qslim

"" wrote: > Sounds like the water pump. The 'gravel' description is > spot-on as to what > a bad water pump bearing sounds like. Since it is driven by > the timing > belt, once it breaks the tbelt is rendered useless, and the > engine shuts > off. As far as the bill, you should be able to find a shop to > do a water > pump tbelt job for less than 500.

Sooo...does this mean it?s the timing belt or the pump itself? And does it mean it?s broken or out of water? God, I wish I knew something about cars.

Why do water pumps break? I mean, what causes it? Oldness? Lack of a tune-up on time? Poor craftsmanship?

Reply to
ginnaericka

The timing belt also drives the water pump. Sometimes when the pump goes out catastrophically it takes the timing belt with it. It means it's broken. Rather common.

They just wear out in time like every other part on a car.

Reply to
NickySantoro

how about checking the engine oil, if the car is not overheating or leaking antifreeze then it aint the water pump

Reply to
justinm930

Just because there is no leaking coolant doesn't mean there is not a pump issue. The bearing & pulley can shear off with out leaking anything.

Reply to
qslim

then the cars cooling system would show signs of pump malfunction. still, this person said there is noise coming from the engine and it hasnt been driven in a while. shes not that mechanically inclined to as a place to start, she should at least check the oil

Reply to
justinm930

I had an '80 Corolla Coupe making a hell of a racket in 1984. Thought the bottom end was just going to drop one day.

Water pump...

no other signs, no overheating, no leaking. Just a rattle coming from Hell as the bearings chewed themselves to oblivion.

Reply to
Vash the Stampede

"" wrote: > On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 22:38:19 -0500, ginnaericka > wrote: > > >"" wrote: > > > Sounds like the water pump. The 'gravel' description is > > > spot-on as to what > > > a bad water pump bearing sounds like. Since it is driven > by > > > the timing > > > belt, once it breaks the tbelt is rendered useless, and > the > > > engine shuts > > > off. As far as the bill, you should be able to find a shop > to > > > do a water > > > pump tbelt job for less than 500. > >

The car is at AAA now, and the guy said it could be the water pump (hasn?t looked at it yet) and that could be $450-$500, OR, the timing belt f***ed up, broke the water pump, and took out some valves with it, in which case, the head would have to be sent out and fixed, which would cost roughly $1200.

We?re this close to just buying a new car instead. If it?s more than $600, it wouldn?t be worth it, since it?s got like 230336 miles on it anyways.

Reply to
ginnaericka

"ginnaericka" wrote: > The car is at AAA now, and the guy said it could be the water > pump (hasn't looked at it yet) and that could be $450-$500, > OR, the timing belt f***ed up, broke the water pump, and took > out some valves with it, in which case, the head would have to > be sent out and fixed, which would cost roughly $1200. > > We're this close to just buying a new car instead. If it's > more than $600, it wouldn't be worth it, since it's got like > 230336 miles on it anyways.

Okay, $650 something, mom said okay, guy said it was the water pump that blew up, took out the timing belt with it, it?s an interference engine (wtf?) so it couldn?t take out the pistons or valves or whatever, and he has to replace something else because there?s oil on the bottom of the timing belt thing, suggesting a leak. I already knew about the leak, but hey, mom said she?ll pay it and we can pay her back.

Cheaper than a new car, at least.

Reply to
ginnaericka

"" wrote: > then the cars cooling system would show signs of pump > malfunction. still, > this person said there is noise coming from the engine and it > hasnt been > driven in a while. shes not that mechanically inclined to as > a place to > start, she should at least check the oil

My mom checked the oil first thing. The car wasn?t heating up. It had gas in it. It had PLENTY of oil.

I never said the car hadn?t been driven in a while. I had driven it every single day to and from work for the last three weeks, or as long as I?ve had my license.

The mechanics at AAA even said it was the water pump. Why would they replace the water pump and timing belt if it wasn?t broken to begin with? I highly doubt the folks at AAA would try to lose their own members by ripping them off like that. My mom, who knows more about cars than most men, told me right off the bat that it was probably something to do with the timing belt. The water pump, she did not say. Then again, she doesn?t know much about Toyotas, so for all she knew, it was only the timing belt.

Reply to
ginnaericka

Be a very informed customer,how much are parts\labor,etc. My advice - set yourself a price & stick by it! if it`s over your price,dump the car or find a more reasonable place to get it fixed,but don`t cut corners. Fix it all the first time, as long as a person is in there, what`s an extra few bucks for a crank seal or a cam seal?

Reply to
metroman

"ginnaericka" wrote: > My mom checked the oil first thing. The car wasn't heating up. > It had gas in it. It had PLENTY of oil. > > I never said the car hadn't been driven in a while. I had > driven it every single day to and from work for the last three > weeks, or as long as I've had my license. > > The mechanics at AAA even said it was the water pump. Why > would they replace the water pump and timing belt if it wasn't > broken to begin with? I highly doubt the folks at AAA would > try to lose their own members by ripping them off like that. > My mom, who knows more about cars than most men, told me right > off the bat that it was probably something to do with the > timing belt. The water pump, she did not say. Then again, she > doesn't know much about Toyotas, so for all she knew, it was > only the timing belt.

You wanted non-technical? Get as many estimates (at least 3) with REFERENCES (again, at least 3) from reputable shops as possible. AND, make sure you check those references. You will find that only the reputable shops will be willing to give them. All others will make excuses like "it?s illegal" or something STUPID like that! I?ve even checked references of surgeons (with their patient?s permission, of course), and boy, I?m glad I did! The reputable ones don?t mind you promoting them! The bad ones don?t want you to find out. Oh, also try to get them to come to your house to save a towing charge. And, make sure they tell you what they are going to charge for the estimate, IN WRITING! Your local BBB should be able to help you.

Reply to
tbober

"" wrote: > Be a very informed customer,how much are partslabor,etc. My > advice - set > yourself a price & stick by it! if it`s over your price,dump > the car or > find a more reasonable place to get it fixed,but don`t cut > corners. Fix it > all the first time, as long as a person is in there, what`s an > extra few > bucks for a crank seal or a cam seal?

Yeah, they had to fix the crank seal too.

I trust AAA. They have no reason to rip off their members. Besides, I?d rather go to AAA than my fiance?s mom?s mechanic. Goddamned guy knows nothing about cars, because if he did, he?d not require her car to go in every month for a new problem. Too bad she doesn?t see it like that. She sees it as cheap = quality.

Reply to
ginnaericka

Reply to
Mark Miller