94 camry le

it suddenly stopped as if i turned the car off. it turned over when i tried starting it, but never started. 24hrs. later the car started and i drove it home. What can be the problem? ignition module? distributor? short somewhere?

thanks

Reply to
mga72

Apart from loose connections, its not likely to be the ignition module. Was the weather humid when it stopped,..was the engine missing prior? If so, replace the distributor cap.

As a bet, I'd be looking for bad connections. Include the fuses related to the engine and especially connections around the battery and ignition. One thing you can try, is wiggling the wiring *gently* around the engine. Use an insulated tool when doingthis near high voltage (spark). Assume no alarm lights came up before the flame-out?

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

hey jason, my engine light has been on for baout 5months, but i diagnosed it and the code was telling me it was air related that was in april or may. As far as any warning lights being on when it shut down, no, nothing it just shut down i forget if the stereo went off my head lights were still on. So you dont think it was a temporary over heating of a module? probably loose connections in distributor or battery? what wires are y ou referring to when you said check around the engine? thanks again!!

Reply to
mga72

Also, the engine was not missing..the engine actually runs excellent very strong pickup no skipping, missing etc...260k miles. the weather was chilly about 45 deg. it happened saturday night virginia beach.

Reply to
mga72

ok.

As far as

It's possible, but IME with electronics for 30yrs, not likely. Large scale intergrated circuits like modern ignition modules are very hardy units with good internal protection against high- temperature. Basically they design the cct to compensate for temp-increase by limiting over-current. If the unit's potting (protective covering) had a crack in it, failure will occur due ingress of impurities from the outside air/moisture. Having said that, they can stop working temporarily if the battery supply (13.8v or so) drops off below about 9volts. So connection and lug-crimping/soldering has to be OK.

probably loose

The wiring you are interested in is buried in looms until they reach where they are going. So, start at the distributor and work back gently flexing the wiring /looms. Takes a few minutes while the engine is running and shuld bring out any poor connections or fractured wires. The battery and alternator wiring and cable connections need to be in good clean condirion. I had a near flame-out when I flashed my high beams once. That was because the Camry's battery connection had come loose and the whole car was running on the alternator.

If the distributor has the coil inside, check for any connections or fractured solder joints on the coil or retouch them with an iron. Basically, you are looking for a fault which cut electricity temporarily anywhere in the ignition and around the engine..

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

The cold temp maybe a clue. Spark-voltage hates moisture. If all else fails and it continues to happen, some new spark leads and a cap maybe indicated.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

hey thanks Jason

ill check into all of that...helpful info. thanks!!

Reply to
mga72

Bad ignition coil

Reply to