A $300 Oil change

I took my 97 Camry LE 4cyl, 82k miles, in to the local dealer for a routine oil change. This dealer is the ONLY facility to have changed the oil on this car since new. They informed me that the oil pan drain plug threads were stripped and it needed to be replaced, total cost in the vicinity of $300, parts out of stock. They had to keep the car overnight while waiting for the parts kit. They would not consider re-tapping the pan for a larger plug or anything like that.

I was told that such severe thread wear is not unusual in a 6-year old car. As far as I know, it is actually very rare, almost unheard of, unless someone overtightened the plug one time. It seems to me that ultimately it is their fault, that only damage due to negligence could cause such a failure. I have the old pan and the threads look pretty well gone, as if someone cross-threaded and forced the plug. Is there a torque spec for the drain plug? Is this is a common problem? My next step is to try and get some satisfaction from the dealer and if that does not work, Toyota.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Cory

Reply to
CORY EDELMAN

If you have service records for every oil change since new showing the mileage, and if you feel confident that the dealer is negligent, contact Toyota and discuss this with the regional manager. If not, take them to small claims.

Reply to
Car Guy

They screwd up you shouldnt pay, did you pay by ck or card, stop pay or dispute it

Reply to
mark Ransley

Maybe tell them this. But I dont know anyone who have NEVER had oil changed elsewhere

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Its not a regional problem, its the dealer and the owners deal.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

threads were

I've only had my TOyota oil changed at my Toyota dealer and my Chrysler at my Chrysle dealer and my FOrd at my Ford dealer and my Subaru at my Subaru dealer....

Reply to
Art Begun

I meant sometimes your out of town, you have it done elsewhere, even if its another dealer (Toyota), its still someone else.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

In news:vhmib.4797$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc02.gnilink.net, CORY EDELMAN being of bellicose mind posted:

If in fact this dealership is the only facility to put a wrench to your drain plug... I'd push that fact in their face to make them eat it the repair. I used to work in auto repair for nearly 30 yrs and can tell you personally and confidently that Ford V8's and inline 6's had the most fragile oil pan threads. Toyota? Not even close. In my last personal car (1990 Prizm) I changed the oil every single time myself and managed not to strip the pan threads in 12 yrs (285,000 miles). If the shop is in the habit of using crushable washers that are anything other than the solid aluminum washers with the wide shoulder, then the possibility of a stripped pan increases substantially.

Reply to
Philip ®

Yes the DEALER "screwed" it up

If GM can build oil pans that after 50 years of use still have good threads, Toyota should to.

They cross threaded or way over torqued it. GUARANTEED

Reply to
Im Right

I guess some people take 3000 mile drives and are forced into that situation. But for me, until the selling dealer screws up he does all the work on my car and if I have a trip scheduled that will take me significantly over the oil change interval I'll bring it to him early.

Reply to
Art Begun

I've seen some dealers not change the crushable washers on my 83's Toyota's when I had them.

Reply to
Art Begun

They are either incompetant or morons,.. provided only they have changed the oil. Tell them to fix their stuff-up and pay for it themselves.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

I change my drain plug washers usually every 2nd-3rd oil change, though the solid aluminum washers can be used many more times depending on how exuberant you get in tightening them. And, they are the most forgiving. But not changing washers when they have deformed around the shoulder of the plug is s.t.u.p.i.d.

Reply to
Philip ®

Before you Piss on your dealers leg and tell him its raining, have him print you your complete history of repairs and oil changes, he will provide them. then PISS away

Reply to
mark Ransley

I'll admit that I haven't changed the oil in my Toyota myself. I always take it to the Toyota dealer where I have been a very satisfied customer since 1972. I don't know if they change the washer/gasket or not, but it doesn't leak.

In the 70's I had a Volkswagen Dasher, and I did my own oil changes. It used a crushable washer that was not re-useable. If you tried to reuse the metal washer, it would leak for sure. It was annoying to have to use a new washer each time, so I bought a plastic washer and used it for the next two years, until I sold the car. I don't know what type of plastic the washer was made of, but it worked like a charm.

Ken - Dayton, OH In 17 days I'll be from West Union SC

Reply to
RunnerBiker

To all who replied to my post below - thanks for your comments. And yes, only the one dealer has ever changed the oil on this car. They do claim to use a new washer each time and tried to suggest that the pan was probably not made properly to begin with - on a Japanese-made Camry? I don't think so...

The dealer was helpful once I talked with the service manager (who was quite rude to me on the phone) and the agent that helped me to begin with called me back.... So far they have made me a "peace offering" of a credit towards a major (30K mile interval) service which is worth about the same. Of course if I don't keep the car it won't do me any good, but at least they made the gesture.

Reply to
CORY EDELMAN

Since 30,000 service packages are a big rip-off (explained in other threads), they are not doing you any big favors. I would call the local TV consumer reporter and stick one up their ass. But first, right them a letter that documents everything, and ask for a written response.

Reply to
Mark A

In news:_Cpjb.1719$ snipped-for-privacy@news.uswest.net, Mark A being of bellicose mind posted:

Mark... you make a lot of noise for a little guy.

Reply to
Philip ®

What makes you think I am little. No one ever called me that before.

Reply to
Mark A

Dealers can be asses complain to Toyota Not the dealer.

Reply to
mark Ransley