Any new car driving tips?

Hi all,

Just bought a 2005 Camry, the car will be delivered tomorrow.... and I need to go for a trip next week, it is about 400kms, shall I drive the new car? Is it ok to drive a brand new car for a long distance trip right away? Is there anything I should pay more attention during the driving?

Thanks a lot Eric Shi

Reply to
Eric Shi

Do not run on cruz. Make sure you vary the speed. If you hold at one speed,there is a chance you could glaze the rings and they won't seat. Enjoy your new baby. Good Luck....

Reply to
W.T. MC GLYNN

Just dont run the new-bie too hard, and try to stay away from hard braking for the first few hundred. Enjoy your new Toyota.

Reply to
zonie

High reving , speeding over the limit and hard acceleration should not be done, running on Cruise control wont hurt unless it downshifts alot in hills. Keep Overdrive on to keep rpm down, Check oils and fluids a few times as anything is possible. Lastly enjoy yourself.

Reply to
m Ransley

First of all , don't do any hard accelerations or lug it by driving at too low an RPM , especially on an incline. Do 'not'... drive on cruise for at least the first 100 miles or so. During the first few miles , try to find a place to drive with litttle traffice so you can vary the speed. Run it up to 50 or so and then let it coast back down to about 30. Repeat this at least a dozen times. This helps to seat the rings by loading them in both directions. If I were you I wouldn't run the car at a steady speed for sustained periods for 500 miles or so. I wouldn't use the cruise until after 500 miles. Needless to say , keep a close eye on the water and oil. I would start driving the car normally after this but not abuse it. I think one could say that after about 2000 miles the car is fully broken in.

This is my opinion and pretty much the general concensus of most mechanics I have talked to over my 40+ years of driving.Always worked for me.

The only engines I didn't break in this way were the ones I built for drag racing. Once we started and tuned them we turned them loose down the 1/4 mile. Course , engine life and oil and fuel consumption was the last thing on our minds. LOL.

Ken Day

Reply to
Ken Day