Check Engine Light P0402/P1411

Threaded View
I have a 2000 XLE V6 Camry.  Last week, the Check Engine Light turns
ON.  My OBD II scanner retrieves the following two error codes - P0402
(EGR Flow Excessive Detected) & P1411 (EGR Valve Position Sensor
Circuit Range/Performance).  Any one has any idea which part of the
EGR system is faulty?

Thanks.

Re: Check Engine Light P0402/P1411

Prepare yourself for a long road. I have been dealing with this issue
since last spring with my 2000 Camry LE 4 cyl. Don't take it to the
stealership, take it to a mechanic you trust if you have one. I have
replaced parts that were fine and am now reading 8 different codes.
Have fun!

Re: Check Engine Light P0402/P1411
. My OBD II scanner retrieves the following two error codes - P0402

Prepare yourself for a long road. I have been dealing with this issue
since last spring with my 2000 Camry LE 4 cyl. Don't take it to the
stealership, take it to a mechanic you trust if you have one. I have
replaced parts that were fine and am now reading 8 different codes.
Have fun!

Could you expand a bit on your reply?  What parts were replaced,
and what new codes came developed? Any hint of a vacuum
leak?
Thanks

Re: Check Engine Light P0402/P1411

I did not replace the whole EGR system, but the VSV switch (don't ask
me which one) and I replaced another VSV for the evap system on the
rear of the car (again don't ask which). I also replaced the gas cap
and all hoses leading to and from the EGR valve.

For what the car is worth, I stopped dumping money in it and am now
living with the engine light being on. The rest of my codes are all
Evap related. I don't know what Toyota did to the car, but it is very
frustrating. I have since listed the car for sale and am hoping to get
my money back, but no guarantees on that.

Re: Check Engine Light P0402/P1411

I have searched the internet for same error codes combination.  Seems
like this combination happens quite often and the problem points to a
faulty EGR valve position sensor.  I've measured mine and found the
resistance is out of range.  Planning to replace this sensor soon and
see if it cures my problem.

Site Timeline