cold run problems with 93 camry XLE V6

I'm having a problem with my wife's camry. About 2 months ago, it started hesitating after a cold start while accelerating initially for the first 5 or 10 min before reaching normal op temps. The effect is similar to a bad choke I would think for a carb where there is no power intially, and then after a few chugs, it goes on fine.

I have checked the ECTS and the cold start injector switch/injector. They all look within spec both cold and hot. I I assume that if the car starts reliably (which it does. IE. it's not hard to start), then that would eliminate the cold start injector? As well, I cleaned the throttle body and IACV thoroughly. The plugs, rotor and wires on this car are all OEM, less than 2 years old. I also replaced the fuel filter with no change. I measured the fuel pressure which is around

38PSI at idle and 47PSI when I take the vaccuum line off the regulator. Does anyone know if those pressures are about right for the V6 engine? The Haynes manual states that these should be lower by about 8PSI, but it also only gives 1 spec for the 4 and 6 cyl engines which does not sound right to me?. I checked the static fuel pump pressure with the engine off/ignition on with the pump running. It was 48PSI. I have yet to check the TPS, but that's next.

Anybody have any other ideas? I'm starting to run out! ;) Maybe this might be an engine timing issue? The engine was actually replaced about a year ago. Maybe they didn't get the timing belt on right? Don't know why it wouldn't show up right away though. Any help would be appreciated.

Dave Mc

Reply to
davemac