Costs to Replace Brake Caliper

I have a 1998 Toyota Camry with a left front brake caliper that the dealer says is going bad. What should we expect to spend to replace that part, and are there any specific things I should be checking for if I go with a third party (non dealer) repair? The quote was for between $1500 and $2000. That seems pretty high for a part that I see selling online for under $200. What is involved in the repair?

-- Will

Reply to
Will

Will wrote:

=================================================== Just replaced calipers recently on a '94 Camry. Was willing to have the dealer do the work, for apx. $200 more than I thought it was worth just for the convenience, but IIRC correctly their price for calipers only was over $400. Seemed to me, if the calipers were going to be replaced, we ought to also change the brake pads and rotors (rather than just machining them down) There was also some question (online discussion groups) whether to change the flex lines also, since they have been known to collapse internally and cause symptoms similar to a seized caliper - though I don't know if this is equally true for Toyota, it is considered generally good practice I believe. Also, I had a persistent, small leak of grease seeping from the driver side inner CV joint, so I changed the calipers, brake pads, shims, fit kit, rotors, flex lines, and driver side axle all with Toyota parts. Our local dealer has made several errors on part numbers and always has higher pricing, so the company I order from online supplied the part numbers and prices - and they're always correct. Then with their permission to save shipping back the axle core charge, I was able to go "over the head" of the parts counter person, to the parts manager, he checked the faxed list with his boss, and they agreed to price match the parts, so I had them the next day. Here's the list:

3/27/2006: 143,148, brake calipers, pads, slide pins, dust boots, shim and fit kits, lh axle (diff.fluid change), brake flex lines driver side axle, gkn 43420-06151-84, $124.36, cotter pin tie rod end $.47, 95381-03020, cotter axle $.45, 95381-04030 2 front brake calipers, reman. 59.27 ea, rt. 47730-33070-84, lt., 47750-33070-84, 2 rotor, $70.13 ea, 43512-33020, brake pad set of 4, 2 for ea. side, $34.40, 04465-33210, 2 slide pins $5.68 ea., 47715-06030, 2 slide pins $5.68 ea., 47715-06020, (lower slide pins include bushing 47769-50010, $3.00 ea.) 4 dust boots $2.87 ea., 47775-06030, shim kit $18.86, 04945-33030, fit kit $15.57 04947-33040, 2 front brake hoses (flex lines) $44.84 ea., lt. side 90947-02736, rt. side 90947-02734, 4 gaskets (crush washers for brake flex lines) $.92 ea., 47389-30010, rear brake flex lines, $30.89 ea., rt. side 90947-02752, lt. 90947-02753, two aluminum gaskets for transmission drain plug 90430-18008 $.89 =================== The total for parts only was slightly over $700, but that also included the axle. If someone else was doing the work, you'd have to estimate at least double or around $1,500 - so if your dealer is replacing all the items discussed, that may not be as far off as it seems. You do also need to bleed the brakes of course. The flex lines were costly, round numbers around $80 front, $60 rear, plus roughly $125 for the axle, then roughly $150 for the rotor disks - that's most of the cost right there. If you're replacing the calipers, I definitely recommend replacing the slide pins, and dust boots, and using synthetic caliper grease. Mine were all jammed up - they're supposed to be free floating. It makes a big difference in the operation of the brakes and they're relatively inexpensive. ================================ If you wanted to go the budget route, you could see about just using a caliper rebuilding kit and leaving everything else alone. Even having an independent shop perform the labor you might get away for around $100 - $150. I had already planned to do all this when the brakes wore out, so I just accelerated my schedule. I plan on keeping the car a long time, and now all the braking components are new genuine Toyota parts. =============================== It's true I had a larger order, subject to discount, but the left front brake caliper was only $59, so for replacing that alone, $1500 to $2000 is way out of line.
Reply to
Daniel

Did he say why he thought it was bad? Typically it is visible when one pad is much more worn than the others due to a piston sticking. Rebuilt calipers are available that are as good as new ones - been awhile since I bought one but should be about $75 and less than an hour to install. Its remove wheel, remove brake line, remove pins holding pads, remove 2 bolts and do reverse. Then bleae the brake system (get air out of the fluid lines). I'd flush old out at same time. I hope for $1500-2000 he was going to replace both calipers, the rotors and the pads too? Go elsewhere!

Reply to
Wolfgang

Go to a few real brake shops, dealers are overpriced, you may not even need a caliper, if it leaks its bad, what is Going bad?

Reply to
m Ransley

Calipers usually last the lifetime of a car. Guess ur unlucky.. $2000 is way too high.

I saw this for sale on Toyotanation.com

do some research to see if the calipers for the tundra will fit yourcamry. logically thinking, it will not but if you need other parts fromthis guy, it might help you. here are some other place that you should check out for pricing

all the best

Reply to
skewe

Ridiculous... If you will stand still for it, the dealer will do it to you.

Reply to
<HLS