Engibe coolant/antifreeze for 95 Camry

Ijust bought a used 95 camry with 175000 miles on it. I have two questions to ask which may sound very basic as I know nothing about cars. first, should I use the overdrive function while driving in the town or is it only better for highway driving? Secondly, Which engine coolant/antifreeze is suitable for this 95 camry 4cyl automatic(brand, concentration)?

Reply to
rs1

Well, I give you high marks for wanting to learn something about cars....too many people have no interest in learning about machines that they spend many hours in.

  1. Leave the overdrive engaged all the time (except perhaps when you're on a long downgrade on the highway, when you're using your brakes only to retard your speed. That can sometimes lead to the brakes fading (losing effectiveness) even with disc brakes. Getting out of overdrive on a long downhill grade will tend to reduce your speed a little and you won't heat up your brakes as much. Around town at low speeds, you'll likely never get into overdrive anyway, so don't bother to keep it out of overdrive.
  2. Use the red Toyota brand antifreeze only - it will protect your water pump better than the green type. Make it a 50/50 blend of antifreeze and plain water, if you've drained out the old antifreeze and replenish all of it at once. If the cooling system loses a bit of coolant over time, don't simply fill it up with water, but use 50/50, antifreeze and water.
Reply to
mack

== The only thing I would add is to use only distilled water with the Toyota coolant to avoid introducing minerals into the cooling system which can form a coating and retard heat transfer. Here's a strange item - I've never had anyone agree, but I go by the factory Toyota service manual and it specifies in two different places for the Gen. 3 Camry (1992-1996) to use not less than 50% ethylene glycol based coolant and not more than 70%, so I measure out 60% into a large measuring cup then add the rest distilled water prior to filling.

Reply to
Daniel

I think you strike a balance between heat transfer and risk of freezing. Ethylene Glycol doesn't transfer heat as well as water does, so the engine would run cooler with 100% water. Unfortunately you can't use just water because of the freezing problem. Here in Canada, about 60% Toyota Red yields a freezing temperature of about -35 degrees C according to my $5 meter, and that's good enough for my part of Canada, anyhow.

Reply to
Nobody Important

used 95 camry with 175000 miles on it. I have two

Thank you for the information. I really appreciate it.

Reply to
rs1