Estimate on bad wheel bearings...wow

This same car, the 88 Camry, my wife took to Firestone to get it inspected. Mentioned about a rumbling noise, and asked for estimate to fix this. THey say both wheel bearings are bad, and probably would have to replace hubs, too. this is cost breakdown:

2-wheel bearings.... .82.85 x2 2-front hub assys.....243.88 x2

total parts.............653.46

labor....................368.00

shop supplies..........25.00

tax...................... 50.00

total....................1096.46

seemsa bit high, right?

Reply to
geronimo

That's a little cheaper per bearing/hub combination than what I paid for mine at the dealer. I think it's in the ballpark of reasonable, for a reasonable definition of reasonable. :-)

Why, exactly, do they want to do the hubs too, though? Make sure you tell them you're going to ask to see the old hubs after they're done to make sure they're truly damaged or rusted to hell.

Reply to
Nobody Important

With places like Firestone or even the dealer they'll like to replace the entire assembly, which is why you're paying for the bearing PLUS the hub on each side. No reason for a tech to change the CV boot and clean the joint when he can swap in a half shaft in no time.

Call the dealer/local shops and ask how much for pressing out the old bearing and pressing in the new, see the free repair guide on Autozone:

You can then elect to buy bearings from the dealer or online. Should be no need to change out the hub.

Reply to
johngdole