Fan/Dash vibrates in my 95 Camry

Oddest thing. I started up the car today and drove into work no noise. Then on the way home. I picked up my kid, started the car and it was like somebody had turned on a palm sander in my dash. I turned it down one notch and it was quieter. So I turned it on full....WOW! It was like a giant vibrator. I checked a few vents and took off the cowling under the passenger side dash and there is the motor for the fans. If I unplug it, its silent ( heheh).

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Reply to
Rob MacMahon

sounds like you have some debris in the fan motor. It's no big deal, really. If you look under the glovebox you'll see it, it points up and you can see the bottom of it. There is a plug in the middle, and it's held onto its box by three screws. Undo that and it should fall down.

Qslim

I don't know about the '95 Camry, but all the fan motors I have removed have been a PITA!!!! They certainly didn't 'just fall down'! I got so frustrated with my Celica I was beginning to think either cutting a hole or bashing a big dent in the floor, OR just removing the whole dash would be easier!!!

And the other thing to check ,while you're there is the condition of the brushes in the motor. This is a good sign they are on the way out, that and being 10 years old. If you can do it, or know someone who can work on an electric motor, do it! The brushes cost $3.50 at any hardware store, and will take all of 1 hour or less to replace. (note: they are generally NOT as quiet as replacing the motor. Not loud, just not quiet...)

This route sure beats $50-65 aftermarket or $90-140 from Toyota!!!

Reply to
hachiroku

I agree with Hachiroku's comments -- working on the blower fan is not my favorite task!

Obvious advice:

I have had problems with the squirrel cage losing its shape/stability around where it mates with the motor shaft. Over time, it "travels" down the shaft and starts to rub (and eventually bang) against the housing edge near the motor screws. This is noisy and has always started to happen for no apparent reason.

Whenever I have taken a motor out, there is some type of organic suprise sitting in the squirrel cage (like leaves, twigs, etc.)

Could also be loose screws holding the motor in, worn components in the motor itself. Probably going to have to pull the motor, clean out any crap, inspect, and run it "bare" just to eliminate the obvious possibilities.

I was lucky enough to get a hold of a real OEM replacement motor and cage the last time and I have to say that the OEM motor quality is worlds better than a reman jobby.

Good luck!

TJ

Reply to
Tim J.

Hehehe

Well turns out it was a dead mouse. ew....

R.

Reply to
Rob MacMahon

Yeah, I just didn't want to say it...

I bought a Corolla for parts for my GTS and yanked the blower since they do go bad more than anything else on a Toy and there was a nice little skeleton in there...that was my next Best Guess...

Reply to
hachiroku