Headlight

Hi Guys,

My 94 Camry LE 4 cyl has 3 problems. I will describe all 3 in separate threads so that I can track them easily.

First problem is that the left headlight (lower) does not work. The upper one does work. I wonder if this is a DIY kinda of a job, i.e. to replace the bulb. What all tools would I need and how do I go about it? Reference to any website will also be fine.

I am not much of a DIY kinda guy, however I can manage small things like topping-off the oil or changing the wheel.

Thanks,

-Kunal

Reply to
Kunal

The headlamp has two filaments. One is bad. From inside the engine compartment unscrew the retaining ring that holds the plug on the headlamp. Pull the headlamp out of the light assembly and take to to the car parts store for a replacement. Don't touch the glass on the new one when you put it back in.

Reply to
badgolferman

Those headlights take halogen bulbs.

9005 for the high beam and 9006 for the low beam The Owner's manual shows how to change all the bulbs and fuses. If you didn't get one with the car, check eBay. Contains lots of general information you should have. Probably you can find one for perhaps $5. On the left (US driver) side, you're going to find the battery is close making access limited. It isn't difficult, just a bit tricky. If you change the bulbs in pairs, or just try removing the other (right) side for practice, you'll see how they work. First, press in on the small retaining tab on the electrical connector while pulling back to release the wires. Then just turn the plastic collar until it stops and pull straight back to remove. If it doesn't turn, try turning the other direction. Halogen bulbs get really hot during operation, so no oils from your fingers can remain on the glass part of the bulb - just be sure not to touch the glass part of the pressurized bulb when handling, and handle it gently to avoid any shocks to the glass. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ If you just got this car 6 months ago, the headlight is burned out, driver's window sticks, some of the door locks don't work, and you want to keep this car for a long time, there are a number of other things you should check. Mostly fluid levels and condition: engine oil transmission fluid power steering fluid differential fluid brake fluid

-------all of these can be changed if dirty, and will help save expense later - transmission and power steering pumps or racks are expensive. Brake parts are less costly, but will last longer and be safer if the fluid is flushed every few years. Basic service interval on those is 60,000 miles, so at 60k multiples you'd be checking (changing) the timing belt, water pump, gaskets, and seals, plus spark plugs - plus those fluids.

Reply to
Daniel

[...]

-------all of these can be changed if dirty, and will help save expense later - transmission and power steering pumps or racks are expensive. Brake parts are less costly, but will last longer and be safer if the fluid is flushed every few years. Basic service interval on those is 60,000 miles, so at 60k multiples you'd be checking (changing) the timing belt, water pump, gaskets, and seals, plus spark plugs - plus those fluids. ~~~~~~~ Course, if you don't care about vehicle maintenance, you can just drive the car 'til it stops, and as long as the timing belt doesn't break, they tend to be fairly tolerant of abuse also. (let the oil drip, brakes grind into the rotors, engine miss on worn plugs or wires) But properly cared for, those can be one of the best cars you ever owned.

Reply to
Daniel

Thanks guys. I will try out your suggestions next weekend. It has been raining continuously this weekend and I don't have a shade of my own.

Reply to
Kunal

I changed the light bulb. It was a breeze. Did not need to disconnect the battery. Got a Sylvania $10 bulb from Advance Auto parts.

Thanks everyone for all your advice.

-kunal

Reply to
Kunal