HELP! - Problem with security fob

Long story: I have a 1997 Camry with factory security system (security fob is separate from key). This morning I dropped the fob on the pavement. I then disarmed the security system by pressing the button on the fob, got in the car and drove to work (so far, no problem). Later that morning I stopped the car somewhere, got out and left the car unlocked. About half an hour later, I got back in the car and pressed the button on the security fob to bring the security system out of "passive mode" (passive mode is when you remove the key from the ignition, get out of the car, but don't lock it - the system automatically immobilises the engine after 30 seconds but doesn't arm the alarm). At this point there was no response to me pressing the button - the light on the dash was still blinking and I couldn't start the car. I suspect that when I dropped the fob on the pavement earlier this morning I might have damaged it (but it's strange that it worked once immediately after I dropped it). I pulled my owner's manual out of the glovebox and followed the instructions to switch from using the fob for arming/disarming the security system to using the key. This worked and I was able to start the car. On the way back to the office I stopped at the Toyota dealer and purchased a new fob (only $55 - I was pleasantly surprised). The dealer offered to program the new fob for free, which of course I accepted. This is where my problem starts - you need a fob that still works to program a new blank fob! The dealer said there was probably a loose connection in the old fob and if I left it with them for an hour they would pull it apart and apply some glue or something to get the circuit working long enough to program the new fob. I have my Camry booked with the dealer for a service in about a week so I said I would try and repair the fob myself in the meantime. I prized apart the two halves of the fob. Inside are two metal contact strips (positive and negative terminals), a small circuit board and a battery (which is soldered to two terminals and can't be removed). Everything looks OK - no obvious damage. So what the hell do I do now? I have a new blank security fob and no way to program it!

Reply to
g00g1eme