Help with 1998 Camry 'Check Engine' code - P0441 - EVAP Emission Control System - Purge Flow Fault???

Hello,

I had AutoZone retrieve a P0441 engine code the other day. They said it was a bad gas cap but when I Googled the code, it looked like some other 'doo-hickey' was involved and it said to "Remove and replace Vacuum Hoses between EVAP VSV and Charcoal Canister or if there is a metal vapor pipe between EVAP VSV and Charcoal Canister, clean inside of vaporpipe, and lastly, replace EVAP VSV and Charcoal Canister assembly with new parts

What I would like to know, are these fixes tough to accomplish? Where can the parts be found? If anyone has ever fixed this problem, can you give me some pointers?

Thanks in advance,

Kaz

Reply to
Kazumé

Unless your state INSISTS that you not have that code, that work is NOT necessary. I got that code, here in Alberta, last year. Turned out to be caused by overfilling the gas tank. After the first click of the gas pump, STOP, put no more gas in. Code has never reoccurred since it was cleared out.

Reply to
Sharx35

I wish mine were that easy. I've cleared the code twice and it just comes back on. I do know about the over-filling problem so that probably isn't the cause... although... the engine light did come on right after my last fill-up.

Thanx for the response!

Kaz

Reply to
Kazumé

This is my experience with a 2001 camry. There are three vacuum switching valves (VSVs) for the evaporative emission control system. One is on the air filter housing. It is easy to check. Two are on the charcoal canister. One of them can be replaced. The other requires replacing the canister.

To check the removable ones, remove them from the vehicle -- they have two or three hose fittings and an electrical connection. Run 12 volts across the electrical terminals. You should hear a click. If you don't hear the click, the valve is bad.

They cost about $57 bucks each. Chances are good one of them is bad.

The Haynes manual has a procedure for checking the vacuum and the valves.

Also check this site for diagrams and diagnostic procedures:

As for the dealer, they wanted to replace the canister and the vacuum control system and clean the intake $1200. I fixed it for $57.

Good luck,

MD

The removable one on the charcoal canister is a bit of a bear to remove because the screw holding it on the bracket is so small, but it can be done. Having the car on ramps helps a lot.

Reply to
ycleptor

You need to check the VSV that's on the air filter housing. Disconnect the the rubber hose on the side of the carbon canister (towards the rear of the car). You run the engine for a while and you should hear loud sucking sounds from the VSV as the thing cycles. Anything less than that the VSV is sticking.

If this VSV isn't working, and it's the type that has metal tabs holding the port caps, then you can carefully pry away the tabs and clean/lube it. Can save you $60 before you head to the dealer, and should last a while after cleaning.

Reply to
john

In my experience, as soon as I stopped overfilling my gas tank, I ceased getting the 441 code. (after clearing the code out).

Reply to
Sharx35

Never mind - I found the problem. There is a (vacuum?) hose leading into the housing of the air intake cleaner housing. The nipple that is molded to the housing is completely cracked and the hose is off.

I just glued it back on with a big glob of epoxy, reset the check engine light and will watch for a couple of days.

I'll report back the results.

A BIG thanx to all who responded!!!

Kaz aka Jack C.

Reply to
Kazumé

That was the fix - lots of epoxy and duct tape. Four days and no check engine!!!

Thanx, Jack C

Reply to
Kazumé