Toyota JBL premium sound system not that premium

Just installed a new headunit on the Camry XLE to replaced the OEM radio/cassette/6 CD changer. The new headunit has preamp outputs so I went for the integrating harness to reuse the OEM premium JBL power amplifier(s). Turns out the existing amp is nosy with a hissing sound during silent passages even at low volumes - not very good S/N ratio, that is. The new headunit preamp outputs are clean as tested out on my headphone and harman/kardon home stereo. Surprised as the new headunit is considered well below premium.

Anyway, did you guys noticed this your OEM JBL premium system or has Toyota fixed this on newer models?

Reply to
Frank

Heard JBL has lot their touch years ago. Then people want to go with Bose. And Harman, which also makes Infinity and Mark Levinson brands, was in bankruptcy and may be heading back in (must be doing great). So who makes a good speaker these days?

Reply to
johngdole

Don't know much about these days and car speakers. For home speakers, I really like the old school full panel electrostatic, only if I could stuff those suckers into the car and have the amps to drive it! My experience with Bose was not good - over priced and bad sound quality, but that was for a home system, not car.

Reply to
Frank

I have friends building up vacuum tube audio systems. I really don't know much about various sound systems or spend time to shop a whole lot. That's why I have the Bose Acoustimass for home. There were cheaper but larger speakers with excellent sounds at the store, but for me it's a good tradeoff with the small cube speakers.

Reply to
johngdole