1988 Toyota pickup does not go on reverse

Someone I know has a 1988 Toyota pickup with the 22RE and automagic transmission. I have not seen his truck recently but he told me it will not engage reverse anymore but can go to any other gear. What should he be checking into first?

Also, if we need to swap transmissions, what other donors could we use? I am not 100% sure but I believe his is not a 4x4.

Reply to
Mauricio Tavares

Shifter linkage. Make sure the tranny is actually going into reverse.

The wrecking yards should have a hollander interchange book that tells you what parts fit what year vehicle.

Reply to
Mike