2005 Tundra-Starting trouble

I have a 2005 Tundra Access Cab with just over 10,000 miles on it. I use good quality 87 Octane fuel, as the owner's manual states and take good care of it, all maintenance performed regularly, garage kept, etc. Several times in the past month, I've tuned the key to start it (always at work, getting ready to come home) and the starter just keeps turning. I have to turn off the key, wait, and then it will start on the second try, (once it took 3 tries).

Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone know why this happens?

Thanks, DJ

Reply to
nospam

The starter just keeps turning ? For how long ? If you just hold the key in the start position how long does it take for the truck to start ?

Reply to
Mike

Yes, I've had that problem too on a few occasions. Also a 2005 AC. I've never let the starter run for very long. Haven't had a chance to ask the dealer about it. Seems like maybe the key doesn't control the starter ,but tells the computer to begin a "start sequence". Computer won't shut off the starter until it starts. .. just a WAG.

Brian

Reply to
hi there

The 2005 is different. If you just turn the key briefly to the start position and let go, it will continue to turn over until the engine starts (I have to physically turn the key "off" when it won't start). DJ

Reply to
nospam

My 2001 Tundra w/3.4L V6 has never failed to start but it seems to take a longer time cranking before it starts than any other vehicle I've ever owned. Talked to the dealer about it when it was new, they said that's typical on the Tundra but they checked it for a problem and found none. But, if yours cranks for more than 10 sec. then I'd agree with you there is something wrong. Could be intermittant and hard to find, you may have to wait a while for it to get worse before they can find problem. Dave

Reply to
davidj92

Mine is 2005 double cab V8 and have the same exact problem three different times, month(s) interval apart. But I cannot recreate it. The last occurence was two months ago. Mine is garage kept and the problem occured only when I leave work, after parking outdoor for 8+ hrs, AND this always occured in cold weather. I am in Dallas, TX so it doesnt get too cold often. It has 22K now. Own it for 14 months.

Dont know the cause and havent had the time to have it checked yet.

Other than this issue and the sqeaking rear window when powered down, the engine runs fine. The long trips are smooth and quiet, even on very winday days. The towing is great. Still love this truck.

Reply to
todd

Could it be TSB EG043-05 9/28/2005 - Toyota 2003, 2004, 2005 4Runner &

2004, 2005 Highlander and Sienna & 2005 Seqouia, Tacoma and Tundra. Some customers may experience a ?no start? condition and/or M.I.L. ?ON? with DTCs P0300, P0171, and P0174 after the vehicle has cold soaked in sub?freezing ambient air temperatures. To correct this condition a new fuel pump sub?tank assembly is now available. Follow the repair procedure to replace the fuel pump sub?tank assembly."

Also see

rich

Reply to
rich

I printed this post, took it to the dealer and they said it was correct and replaced my fuel pump under warranty today.

Thanks Rich, you rock!

Dave

Reply to
nospam

Thank you Rich and Dave !! I will do the same.

nospam wrote:

Reply to
todd