2005 Tundra oil change access

Just got my new tundra, and was looking where and how to change oil when its time. Below the oil filter there is a cover. Does it need to come off or part way to let the oil drain out?

And where do you check the trans. fluid level?

Reply to
lola1

Take it off.

You don't.

Reply to
Bob H

Excuse me?

You may not. But I do.

The tranny dipstick isn't just for show.

------------------------------------------------ The DNC - Building a bridge to the 20th Century.

Reply to
Eric Dreher

Some 2005 Toyota trucks come with what is call WS trans fluid and does not have a way to check the level from the engine compartment. Most trucks still use the type 4 fluid which has a dipstick on the passengers side of the engine compartment -- type WS fluid does not have to be changed for the life of the truck. It should only be serviced by a dealership. This fluid is NOT interchangable with any other fluids.

Reply to
mdouglas

Well, slap me up side the head. Incredible.

I don't know if I'd like that option/feature.

------------------------------------------------ The DNC - Building a bridge to the 20th Century.

Reply to
Eric Dreher

Check your owner's manual....

Reply to
AndThenSome

It's easy.

5 bolts and it's down.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

If there were one on the '05, it would be.

It's now effectively sealed.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

Rich, Haven't messed with one of the sealed units but have heard of them recently. What if any is the recommended service on the sealed tranny? Can the fluid only be serviced via the cooling lines? TIA, davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

I would assume so. I have not seen one personally. For now, it's a dealer service item, but it's considered a "lifetime" fluid fill from the factory.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

I haven't heard of the fluid being different so I don't see how they can do lifetime on fluid but, if we wait a couple years we'll find out for sure. :-)

Reply to
davidj92

Reply to
Glenn Arsenault

Is it supposed to be checked at set intervals? If so then I would assume they are trying to force owner to get checked in a shop? davidj92

Reply to
davidj92