99 Toyota Tacoma problem, help if you can..

Codes! OBDII codes! Do you have access to an OBDII scan tool? It's all in the codes, Scott. What do you mean, "again"? How did you diagnose the previous "bad coil"? Be careful about throwing new parts at it; gets $pendy quick! Offhand, it sounds like a bad throttle position sensor. But, the codes tell all. Get a scan tool!

Reply to
Jeff

Doesn't Autozone have a scanner to use free of charge? They do inTexas.

My '99 had similar symptoms with a dirty MAS. Bought the cleaner, took it out and cleaned it and no more problems. It was throwing oxygen sensor codes (lean burn on left bank) but the previous owner had replaced the sensors twice before I bought it.

Reply to
Anyolmouse

Ok hooked up the scanner and it returns Passed no codes. Truck turns over but will not start now. Not sure what to do, any ideas??

Reply to
Scott

Check the battery ground at the engine/chassis.

Reply to
Registered User

Hi everyone,

Ok so I have a 99 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 3.4 liter engine with 143,000 miles on it. Everything is going just fine, I am out driving around in the snow and almost home when all of a sudden, loss of power and the engine is slugish and slow to rev up. If it revs to far it tries to stall. When it idles it is rough like the coils died, again. So being in Asheville, Nc with all this snow the town is shut down. Finally i get Autozone and they have one coil. I figure I can swpa it around and find the bad coil and be back up. No luck there. So I am stuck, do all three coils go bad at once or could there be another problem? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott..

Reply to
scott

Sounds like a blocked tailpipe or CAT.

Reply to
Rastamon

maybe the first thing is to see if you have spark.

Reply to
someone

Weird! Are you sure the scanner is alright? I think I would try to generate a code just to verify the scanner. Cranking it over with the MAS or TPS sensor unplugged should generate the appropriate code.

Reply to
Jeff

Autozone does have a code reader for free with a small deposit, Someone is picking it up for me so i should be able to post a code shortly. Thanks for all the help.

Scott..

Reply to
scott

Did you figure it out? I would be interested in hearing what happened. I would guess some sort of blockage either in the intake or exhaust tract. Icing in the intake might be a possibility - did you look at the air filter? Any chance you damaged the exhaust while driving around in the snow? Of course there is always the chance you have water in the gas. Even if it is a minor amount, it can freeze in the lines and stop you cold. A frozen gasoline vent line could also play ahvoc with the truck....

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White