Cost of 2006 Toyota Pick up

Well after 16 years and 160,000 miles my always reliable 4 cylinder, 2WD extended cab Toyota pick up has blown the head gasket. I can't complain since until this point I haven't had the first problem.

But now it's time for a new truck as I don't want to put money into the repairs of the engine. Boy what a "sticker shock". These dealers want all of my future earnings! At any rate what I need is to find out the dealer cost or discount off of MSRP that the dealer pays. I'm aware that there are other factors/sales incentives that the dealer gets but I won't worry about that. If the MSRP is $26,000 then what is a fair price for me to pay. So far these guys want to knock off $1000 and that's it! I'm thinking his cost is about $21,000 and I'll give him 10% or $23000, or $3000 off MSRP.

Can someone help me with this? My 1991 truck is parked and I need something SOON! My wife is chauffeuring me around in our 2003 Toyota Avolon and neither of us likes that! I'm in East Tennessee.

BTW, since I'm not trading this truck, what would you think a fair selling price would be without getting it repaired? I figured $1500-2000. I'm also thinking of giving it to a charity and getting a income tax deduction.

Thanks

Reply to
Jim Pettway

Generally, I think a good deal is to pay the sticker price "out the door" and let the dealer lower the price until everything else is paid, including the 9.75% sales tax! It is reasonable to get a Tundra SR5 out-the-door for $27K. I got a good deal from Knoxville Toyota.

Check Kelly Blue Book and subtract the cost of repair. You'll get more $$$ if you clean it up and sell it yourself. I sold my old vehicle in 10 minutes on WYSH radio (1380 AM) Trading Times (9-10 AM, M-S). Also, The Kidney Foundation will take your vehicle gift, running or not.

Reply to
Phisherman

go to edmunds.com and use it to get a dealer price. You should be able to find a dealer near you that will go that low or a bit less. Use the 'internet pricing' stuff on edmunds. Get a few quotes from local dealers. Their 'internet sales' guys will give you a better price than the show room guys since you know more of what you want since you tell them via email.

jack

Reply to
Jack Snodgrass

What kind of shape is the rest of the truck in? Does it meet your needs - is it big enough, etc?

If the body is still solid, good tires, brakes, etc., fix the head gasket. Head gaskets are not a harbinger of utter doom, they go out over time.

While they're in there, they can also change the valve stem seals (puff of smoke in the morning) and the timing chain (the other failure point that crops up past 200K), and you'll be good for another 160K

And remember you take it in the shorts buying new - between the depreciation, and the jump in insurance, and the new payment book for the next five years...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Reply to
Malcom Gillette

Last July(2005)I got my 2005 Tundra with regular cab, V-6, 6spd manual, and

2WD at Springhill Toyota in Mobile, Alabama. After adding a custom order ARE high top shell, sliding window between the cab and shell, class III reciever hitch, tax, title, license.... the works for LESS than $20,000. The truck itself (after rebate) was $15,800.
Reply to
Noon-Air

If you're looking to give away or sell the truck on the cheap, consider me. I have all of the repair manuals for 1990 Tacoma. Not an exact match, but pretty close. I know a man that will make it last another 10 years.

There is no fair price for a Tacoma. Purchase is high, discount are few, and resale is variable. My guy's 1990 Taco 4wd sr5 was totaled at 92k miles. It was 12 years old at the time and insurance paid him $9500. His

2004 Taco stickered for $25 and bought for $23. Every buying service I could find says thats as good as it gets.

Reply to
Luba Papageorgio

Jim wrote

I would not buy a car with a loan. You end up paying a lot more for the vehicle plus the interest is not tax deductible. Look for a used one and pay cash. Then do monthly payments to a "special" personal account (preferably something like an interest-earning money market) until you have $26K for a new Toyota truck. You'll get a little extra interest money and if you are in Tennessee the interest is tax-free. When it comes time to buy you have no loan hassles and better bargaining power, but don't tell the salesman you are paying cash until the deal is made.

Reply to
Phisherman

Reply to
Gary