Leaf springs - new U bolts ???

I recently posted about finding replacement springs for a 1992 Toyota PU, HALF ton, 2WD.

My research and any replies could only find replacements for 4 WD models. Mine is 2 WD. Nothing available. Not even in the venerable JCWhitney.

I am planning on having them REARCHED. If I remove the springs ( hoping they ain't rusted in after all these years in NJ winters ), it will cost about $150 for BOTH side.

I have only had a spring rearched once on an old Corona. I used the old U bolts.

Spring company is trying to get me to replace the U bolts for about $8 each - about $35 with tax.

Comments on reusing the old U bolts ??????????????????

I do not do hauling in the truck - maybe a toilet for install or a TV or computer purchase. I have done about 2 loads of mulch at most in 12 years.

If I move, I may have a small trailer for a couple of trips and then back to using the truck as a simple vehicle for drives without hauling.

If I can't get the springs out due to rust, then the complete job will be about $350. I was told by the spring company that since it is a Toyota, the less I break such as BUSHINGS, etc. getting it out, the better off I will be in my wallet. He claims the bushings are about $35 a side for rubber. I have checked all site and the ONLY bushings available are for 4 WD.

There AIN'T nothing out there for 2 WD that I can find. Reuse the old U bolts ???

TIA

Reply to
Zing

Replace the U bolts. And the center bolt if it has one.

I've replaced a few sets of leaf springs before. The U bolts get corroded. It's not that expensive.

You may end up replacing the shackles as well.

GC

Reply to
Chips

Reply to