Radio tuning question

I have a Toyota radio 86120-60360. It has bands for AM FM and 2 shortwave bands.

I have 2 questions:

1- the AM section tunes in 9 KHz increments instead of the normal 10, making tuning stations such as 550 and 620 impossible. It stops at 549 and 621 for example. I can't find a switch on the back anywhere to adjust that. Is there some front-panel setup I could launch to adjust it?

2- I never heard of having a shortwave tuner in a factory radio. Is it any good and will it work with a standard am/fm antenna?

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Flagstaff Frank

I have a Toyota radio 86120-60360. It has bands for AM FM and 2 shortwave bands.

I have 2 questions:

1- the AM section tunes in 9 KHz increments instead of the normal 10, making tuning stations such as 550 and 620 impossible. It stops at 549 and 621 for example. I can't find a switch on the back anywhere to adjust that. Is there some front-panel setup I could launch to adjust it?

2- I never heard of having a shortwave tuner in a factory radio. Is it any good and will it work with a standard am/fm antenna?

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Flagstaff Frank

Bet it's not a radio for the US market-- I think in Europe the AM band tunes at the interval you describe.

Reply to
Daniel Dravot

I seem to remember a Sony Short Wave radio I had that had a switch to change from 9khz to 10khz steps. That leads me to believe that different areas of the world have different steps (on the AM band...).

Sounds like Daniel has it right!

-----

--Scott in Florida

Reply to
Scott in Florida

You have a European-spec radio. It should work with standard AM-FM aerial, though you might sacrifice a bit of Shortwave coverage because the antenna isn't designed for it. And there isn't a whole lot of American shortwave to listen to anyways...

And they usually have a quick way to kick it over to American channel spacing (and vice-versa) but I don't know what it is. Did you try Googling for an answer? They have astounded me in the past.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Dude, its a European radio, channel spacing is different and there is no switch. You just need a US radio or get close, maybe 1Khz off will still be readable.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

"Scott in Florida" >there

Daniel has it totally right and it's not just a pain having a Euro radio in the US, it's a REAL pain having a US radio in a Euro-spec country.

The head unit I've got is a Pioneer Premier P59DH, a din+1/2 CD tuner. It's a nice unit, all works, but the damned radio is in American spacing.

I want to tune to, say, 90.8 (the rock station here) and I can do 90.7... or

90.9... but not 90.8. Same for AM. And it's VERY annoying. So it's basically a glorified Discman.

Nick.

Reply to
Nick Trounson