Re: Can anyone tell the difference between rotors and pads (truthfully)?

"Stuart A. Bronstein" wrote in news:nvaOf.43710$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com:

> This is nonsense. Excessive braking can result in warped rotors, but >> braking on turns has nothing to do with it. > > According to this article (probably the best on the Internet) >
> "Many technicians are under the impression that a "warped" rotor is > one that has too much runout. They also attribute this "warping" to > why the brake pedal pulsates. This is not true. Runout will NOT cause > pedal pulsation in most cases." > > So, I'm back to being confused about whether or not brake rotor > pulsation is really caused by "warped" rotors or not. It seems not. > > But we learn more every day about brakes so time will tell for all.

If that is the best on the web then it must be true.

Well, no it isn't.

In a perfect world a warped rotor would not cause pulsations.

However, a warped rotor will rapidly wear at the high spots (wear tends to occur in brakes off position), which will rapidly create DTV (Disc thickness variation) which will cause BTV (brake torque variation) even in a perfect car.

But, the callipers don't slide smoothly in the real world, so I suspect you'll pick up a warped rotor via the pedal even if there is no DTV.

So, now you can get them to correct that article.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Reply to
Greg Locock