Spark Plug Location on 2004 4Runner 6 Cylinder ??

I'm doing the basic service on my wife's 2WD 4Runner. It's now at the 30k mile service. I'm trying to do as much as practical before taking it to my pro to finish it off. Heretofore I've changed the oil, oil filter, air filter and rotated the tires. I'm pretty sure I can change the cabin air filter. I would like to change the spark plugs, but I can't locate them. If they are really, really difficult to change, I'll have my pro do it. Otherwise, I would rather do that myself. I got a manual, but it doesn't show me where the plugs are. I haven't taken off the black box that sits on top (the one the air filter feeds into).

Any guidance would be appreciated.

TIA,

Bill Allen

Reply to
Bill Allen

That's exactly what you have to take off. The left three are a breeze to do, you can see the three boots on the valve cover. Just pull those suckers off and you'll see the plugs. The right side, however, requires the removal of the intake boot and surge box. If I remember correctly, all you have to do is loosen the large hose clamps on the boot at either end with a 10mm, and there may be one or two small fasteners around the perimiter of that box. Ease the boot off at either end and the assembly should lift right up. Then you'll see the three coils that sit on top of the plugs. They're only held on by one 10mm and once you unplug them you lift the right off to get to the plugs. It's not too major at all. Take your time with a basic set of hand tools and you'll be in business. Post if you need a hand.

Reply to
qslim

Spark plugs have not moved from their traditional position at the top of the cylinder head. If you can't find them, then maybe ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Thanks. That's a big help. I didn't want to start taking things apart and get involved with something that was over my head.

A few more questions: What torque value should I use when installing the new plugs? I'm assuming I should apply a touch of anti-seize, right? Also, I should apply some dielectric grease on the connector, right?

Thanks again,

Reply to
Bill Allen

Absolutely YES on the anti-seize. I set some plugs without anti-seize once, and they seemed to torque okay, but in reality they were still loose. Obvious issues followed at about the time I should have been getting ready to check them again. A plug worked loose and damaged the head. I was able to fix the damage, but avoiding the damage would have been much easier.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland