68' Westy Front Door Alignment

This is a problem I have posted before. I utilized some of the suggestions offered here, but........

After aligning the doors vertically so the latches align and the top and/or bottom of the doors don't rub, the doors now rub towards the rear where the latch is. After checking things over again, I noticed the gap at the front edge of the door is considerably wider than the gap at the rear edge of the door which common sense will tell you is the reason the doors are now rubbing on the rear side. Aside from what caused this, which I am guessing was some body work by a previous owner, I really need to know how I can fix it?

Any suggestions??????

Thanks,

Fish

Reply to
Fish

Slam it like I do. Sorry. No help. :-( My left door is the same. I have to have no door seal to actually get it to shut. The door is not very good, but better than the last one, so a block of wood and a hammer 'reshaped' the door a tad to work. Maybe you could press the hinge pillar forward a bit ?

James

Reply to
Juper Wort

Thanks James, I will have to give something like that a try. I finally got it up on a lift and could plainly see what the problem was. The guy who sold it to me, or someone previous to him, poorly "repaired" some front end damage which caused the door hinges to be out of position. Than instead of realining the doors, they just bent them until they closed. The guy I bought it from lied his butt off about damage reapir. Luckily I bought it from eBay and I have some recourse.

Take care,

Fish

Reply to
Fish

First off, the '68 bay has a different door hinge to the late bay.

Where your hinge bolts to the body, the bracket is welded at

right angles to the body. If there are no shims behind the hinge then,

the only way I've found to decrease the front door gap is to remove

the door and with a porta power/press push the bracket forward.

The bracket will not be at right angles any more, but this will

allow the hinge axis to be positioned forwards.

If you do not have the above tool, then a block of hardwood

and a large hammer will come in handy :-)

Grahame from Aus

Reply to
Grahame Rumballe

I guess I will have to give the block and hammer a try;)

What about a body shop with a frame straightener?

Reply to
Fish

Be gentle at first, but you can do it!!

Reply to
Grahame Rumballe

By the way, and I'm really showing my ignorance here, what is a porta power/press thingy? Others have mentioned it.

Reply to
Fish

Reply to
Grahame Rumballe

Ahhhhh, we have something similar in the fire service, forget what it's called. We never use it anymore. The jaws is the tool of choice now. Speaking of which......nahhh, I would likely push the hinge post into the next county:)

Looks like this is the first choice. I will give it a try next week (the bus is getting some badly needed maintenance) and let you know how it goes.

Thanks for your help....again.

Hey are you a football fan (american football not soccer)?

Reply to
Fish

Nope! I follow "Rugby Union"

Reply to
Grahame Rumballe

Rugby...heard of it.....seen it on TV....don't understand it.

There is an amature (old guy) league in the area. We get called to the local field often enough to scrape players off the lawn and hall them to the hospital.

How about Australian Rules Football? I love the little dude that signals a point....cracks me up:)

Reply to
Fish