69 dash padded to metal conversion

We (wife and I) are in the process of restoring a 69. I would like to know what we need to prepare for when the body comes back from the painter to keep the metal dash versus installing the padded black dash cover? I am sure there are folks out there that have converted these before? Are there certain holes that need to be filled? Now is the time for us to know because the body is going to paint in the next couple of weeks. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Sean & Christa

Sean and Christa,

I did what you're doing about 5 years ago on my '68. I remember filling at least a half dozen bolt holes prior to painting, using bondo backed by aluminum tape (in case I wanted to switch back later). Consider also filling the holes for the passenger side dash handle; I have yet to find something that will fit the contour of the naked dash, and the earlier ('67-) handle doesn't work, unless you want to make new mounting holes.

I dealt with the dash vents by buying new replacement units (originals crispy) and installing them backwards; if you look at how thy are designed you'll see what I mean. Lastly, if you can, find a '67 ashtray to replace the plastic faced factory one ('67 being the only earlier year without a plastic handle). When I did my car, I couldn't find one, so I fashioned a simple replacement face out of sheet metal which actually looks surprisingly good.

If you can find one, a '68-only speedometer looks good in the 'metalized' dash, this being the last year of the pre-plasticized unit. They are surprisingly common, for a one-year item. As an alternative, you could use an earlier one with an earlier gas gauge, but that obviously is a bit more work.

Al Adams

Reply to
Al Adams

Hi Volks!

Al Adams wrote: [Going from upholstered to naked dashboard in a Bug]

How about a handle from a post-67 Euro Bug? They came with naked dashboards as standard, I think all the way through '78 when production was halted in favour of imports from Mexico.

Airhowlingly yours, Erik.

Reply to
Erik Meltzer

Thanks for the great tips, I have already contacted the painter and made the suggestions regarding filling in the holes. I do have another question. How did you deal with all the black knobs? There must be at least 4 (light switch, 2-fresh air adjustment and hazard). Is there a way to convert these to the older style knobs?

Reply to
Sean & Christa

All brazilian bugs came naked also... up until 1981 they are just like a 60s american bug.

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

Sean and Christa,

I suppose you could use the earlier, pre-'67 plastic knobs on the wipers and light switch, just by exchanging knobs on the switches. A 4-way flasher knob from a '66 (one year only, I think, for an earlier-style plastic knob) would take care of that switch.

For that matter, a '66 parts car could yield a swapable glovebox door (with earlier pushbutton), an earlier directional/dimmer switch assembly and dash-mounted ignition switch (to replace what's on the steering column), and a '66-appropriate ashtray. You could ditch the fresh air mechanism (I know mine doesn't really work), and plug those holes under the radio opening, and plug the extra vents under the windshield. I guess if you're doing the dash, maybe you'd want to change the hardware on the doors to match the dash, change the seats ....

On my '68, I left the black knobs in place. Bear in mind the '67 dash had flat black knobs, similar to your '69 knobs, but without the international symbols on them. They look fine as is, in my opinion, particularly with the pseudo-'67 ash tray.

Al Adams

Reply to
Al Adams