79 FI exhaust parts, HELP!

Volks,

It appears that I am on a search for the holy grail. I am looking for the exhaust tube that comes off the # 1 and #3 exhaust ports in the front of the engine, towards the back of the engine. I have the muffler and heater boxes. I can't find a blow up of this complete exhaust system on line anywhere. The parts seem NLA. What can I do. This is a non catalytic converter car in great shape. Can some one point me to a schematic on this exhaust system and to a supplier?

Many thanks and Merry Christmas and happy holidays,

Matt

Reply to
Matthewd

...............Send an email to snipped-for-privacy@aircooled.net and ask him about it. I don't see it listed at

but they probably have it or can obtain it without much delay. Let us know what happens. I'm going to need the same item for my '77 before long.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

I just got all the FI parts for a 79 vert I'm working on from

it was all made by Dank which seems to be good quality at a fair price.

Reply to
Kafertoys

That would probably be #2 and 4 you're referring to.

I restored a FI exhaust totally but it was years ago. And pickings were slim. The locals didn't have a clue...

Lots of places carry FI parts from the heater boxes out but good luck finding the manifold pieces to the heater boxes. There are two cast manifold assemblies on each side. It's the #2 and 4 cylinders that have the "reverse J-tube" type manifolds that feed into the other manifolds via a flanged joint. These smaller rear manifolds are the

2 into 1 collectors that connect to the heater boxes. And don't forget the always missing support brackets that bolt to the #2 and #4 flanges that support the entire system. You wouldn't believe how many FI engines have these parts rotted off which puts all the weight on the heater box flanges, which then eventually crack and leak. FI systems are EXTREMELY heavy. I bought those brackets from the dealer I recall.

Even JPgroup.dk which has an extensive catalog doesn't list these.

I would try to hunt down used ones and bead-blast them. Good luck.

RT

Reply to
Raymond T. Lowe

Kinda unclear exactly what you are looking for.Is this U.S. spec non-California with 2L and cat? Is it U.S. spec California model with 2L and cat? Is it an oddball 1600 (odd in U.S. anyway!)? Are you committed to exact restoration and require all the original components (good luck!)?

U.S. spec '79 driver side (left side sitting in the bus looking forward) non-CA models had a single piece heat exchanger that bolts to #3 & #4 exhaust flanges. California models are different.

Do you need the piece that bolts to the back of the right and left side heat exchangers (back of vehicle reference to "back") to utilyze the rest of the stock parts?

I may have some leads but please be specific.

-BaH

Reply to
Busahaulic

He says it's a car. I assumed it was a type 1 in a Beetle but maybe he meant a type 4...

RT

Reply to
Raymond T. Lowe

be Item #13. NLA Consider having a muffler shop fab/weld using the old flanges.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Now how did I assume "bus" out of his post? Guess I was just bus-oriented when I read it! It makes more sense to me now... Did to you all along! -BaH

Reply to
Busahaulic

Those FI beetle engine parts are getting extremely rare. I wonder if there is anything at all hidden away in VW's warehouses. Most dealer partsperson's just blow you off cause it's a PITA to look up the old stuff on the fiche and many don't know how.

It's no different where I work at Freightliner. You can get a lot of parts for old trucks dating back into the 70's but you'll get turned away at the counter with most of the new kids because they haven't a clue on how to access the information. It involves at least 3 different fiche cards to identify a part number to a truck serial number (remember that trucks are all custom built).

RT

Reply to
Raymond T. Lowe