Holy Exhaust

I have a 1994 Rover 214SEi. It needs a new exhaust - centre section and tail pipe (behind the cat.converter which is OK).

Went to Charlie Browns today - sign in window saying "1000's of half price exhausts". So they had a look at the car and confirmed what I thought - the price was £126.50. I asked if it was in their half price exhausts offer but was told not.

I decided to walk away - best to shop around but not many other places are open on a bank holiday. Not even sure if the price they quoted is reasonable or not.

So the question now it, is there likely to be any problems if I drive it around a bit tomorrow (I expect to do around 30 miles before I get a new one fitted).

Cheers Paul, West Yorks

Reply to
Paul

phone a few places maybe? look in local paper? should be o.k. remember that repair kits from Holts etc only cost about £5 a time and should last a while... see local car spares shop or even Halfrauds.

Reply to
MrJolly

The price seems OK. My Exhasust was =A3120 fitted (centre and rear). The one I got was a FIAT, I could've had a different make which would've been a bit cheaper though.

places are

It depends how bad it is really. If it's not very bad then it should do 30 miles, but if it's bad then it'll probably get VERY noisey, and could drop off. My one got to that point on the day that I was taking it to the garage. The noisey was unbearable, and when I slowed etc I could hear a small clonk where the exhaust was actually moving.

There is also a risk of the police stopping you, and I have known somebody to be stopped for a noisey exhaust. If it gets as bad as my one then the police probably will stop you. When my one got that bad I was already on my way to the garage though.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

Our local Charlie Browns was so bad somebody burned it down!!! - There fitting bays are known to be a 'bit dodgy' - They are the only garage that has ever tried the old 'your shockers are weeping mate' gig on me!

I live in Poole BTW.

Ask them for a list of exhausts that are half price....

Take it to the main dealer and get a quote, then go to somewhere like quick-rip - You might be surprised.

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

Cheers for that - I'll bell Kwik Fit tomorrow and see what they say. My Dad swears by MCC in Bradford for cheap exhausts so I'll try them too.

Cheers Paul, West Yorks

Reply to
Paul

wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Paul

Yeah I'll phone round on Tues. All the other garages were shut today. There was only Charlie Browns that I could find open.

Not really considered a repair kir - I think I'd rather just get a new one fitted then forget about it.

Cheers for now Paul, West Yorks

Reply to
Paul

Try this site, around 60 quid plus VAT delivered to your door for your car, you can even get all the mounts and gaskets from the same place, all timax with a 2 year guarantee.

John Woodhall

Sounds expensive to me, especially considering it will only be cheap pattern parts. I'd estimate less than half that for the bits if you don't mind fitting yourself.

Depends. Strictly speaking it's illegal to drive with a leaking exhaust system (MOT fail), but if it's not in danger of collapsing or falling off, and it's not much louder than standard then I'd say the exhaust would survive a 30 mile trip without problems. However beware of fumes entering the car, often the first symptoms are tiredness and headaches.

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis

=A350 sounds very cheap. The labour must be about half that alone. With my car, and possibly the OP's car, the centre and tail pipe (with silencer) comes in one piece. I don't know if yours was just the centre or something?

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

There's no metallicky plaster of paris stuff is there, out there? Mine's blown too, but where the pipe has a hinge attached to it, so a Holts flexiwrap is not really on, just need a dollop of something to put on it (very tiny hole) until I sell her.

Reply to
snowbound

There's no metallicky plaster of paris stuff is there, out there? Mine's blown too, but where the pipe has a hinge attached to it, so a Holts flexiwrap is not really on, just need a dollop of something to put on it (very tiny hole) until I sell her.

Reply to
snowbound

TIP :- lop both ends off a 'stainless steel' beer can, then cut it in half, then with a couple of dollops of 'Gun Gum' bend the can over the hole, with the 'Gun Gum' inside it. Put two large steel straps around this, fairly close to the hole, the type you can tighten with a screwdriver, large circlip type ones!! - Forgotten the name...

Do not use Aluminium cans, they can melt....

This has made exhausts last another 10,000 miles for me.

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

It always pays to shop around with exhausts. In Mansfield where I live one of the smaller tyre outlets has its own exhaust _factory_, which saved me a couple of hundred pounds on a cat for the Previa.

The back box has been dodgy for a long time, but that's close on £150 too. Three MOTs ago I welded it; a year later I welded it again; this year it passed anyway, though I noticed it's starting to blow a bit again. I suspect it will get welded a third time as the car now needs rear discs, pads, and four shocks!

Reply to
Chris Bolus

£50 sounds very cheap. The labour must be about half that alone. With my car, and possibly the OP's car, the centre and tail pipe (with silencer) comes in one piece. I don't know if yours was just the centre or something?

I got a mid and Tail for a corsa a few weeks back, complete with hangers for £40, local mechanic charged £25 to fit it.

I was pretty made up with that!

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

Mondeo tail pipe with silencer plus puncture repair and two new valve caps - £29 fitted (I had to do the valve caps myself!)

Reply to
PM
** UPDATE **

Thanks for all your advice everyone. I got a new centre section & tail pipe fitted today at MCC in Bradford and it was £85 supplied/fitted & VAT.

I would have gone to my usual place (Viking Service Centre in Bradford) but they couldn't do it till Weds and I didn't want to risk it dropping off while doing 70 down the M62 for another journey to & from work.

Cheers again, Paul, Wakefield

Reply to
Paul

good price and good place too