ARGH: Lights are killing the engine/wont start now

1960 Sedan

  1. Was running fine

  1. Sat for about 1 month
  2. Started it up - dusk - turned lights on and killed the engine
  3. parked it back into garage
  4. now it wont start

Battery is good - lights come on when testing

When trying to start up - starter turns - try several times - engine never turns over. Red and green lights on when turning key to start position.

Ground strap is frayed badly - dont know why I never really paid attention to this point - probably cause it was running fine.

Questions:

  1. Why would the engine die when lights came on?
  2. What to do about the engine not turning - I know its basic but cannot find my Muir book for the life of me.

thx

rolledupaces2003

it sounds like, you may have a hotwire to the coil that grounded out when the lights got turned on... thats just a wild guess though check the coil, see if yer getting voltage to the + side then also make sure your gettign spark to the plugs.

also a very silly question but a possibility, something that isnt unlike what would happen to me make sure you have fuel in the tank, maybe purely by coincidnce that you ran out of gas right as you turned on your lights

Reply to
Brian "Grimace" H.

You said: "...starter turns - ... - engine never turns over. "

Do you mean that the starter actually *does* crank the engine (the engine pulley spins) BUT the engine does not fire up ??

I'm not being picky; sometimes it pays to set the definitions before we waste a lot of time.

You said: "Why would the engine die when lights came on?" On a '60, ALL the power to up front goes thru the Headlight switch terminals. If they are loose/overheated/corroded, this can happen.

The frayed ground strap *could* be behind all these problems.

Post back after you have changed the strap and with as much detailed info as possible.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

listen to Jim, he's smart!

Reply to
Brian "Grimace" H.

Heheheheehhhhhh, took apart my fuel system on my 90 Mazda MPV one time because the wife said it wouldn't run right. After taking out the fuel pump/filter assembly from the gas tank (which required removing interior seats, carpet etc), I looked down into the access hole and found the tank to be bone dry. (Note to self - NEVER take wife's word that there is gas in van). DOH!!!!

Reply to
Courtney

Do you mean that the starter actually *does* crank the engine

Exactly and I totally agree - sorry I wasn't more detailed. The starter motor goes but the engine just wont fire - I did this about 15 times then decided I didnt want to ruin the starter etc so I stopped trying it.

Thanks for your help in Advance.

Speedy Jim wrote:

Reply to
rolledupaces2003

Use your tester to see if there is 6V at the Coil (+) terminal

*while* cranking.

If there *is* voltage there, then it may be a "no spark" problem.

If there is *no* voltage when cranking, it is most likely an Ignition switch problem.

See also: "Why won't my engine start?" on my web site

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

I have had a similar problem with my 74 Super. Found that a ground wire was loose from the Ignition switch to the fuse box. The start turns, but that's it.

Here were the tell-tale signs for me:

  1. When I turn the key to 'run', not 'start', the head lights would come on, but the radio would not work
  2. I believe that the 'generator' and 'oil pressure' lights would also not light up
  3. To start the car, I would turn the key to 'start', and then have to move some of the wires around the ignition switch and the ground wire would eventually make contact. (To tell when I had touched the right wire, I would leave the key in 'run', turn the radio on, and the start moving wires.

I eventually took the fuse box off and made a visual inspection and found the loose wire, attached the connector, problem solved.

At least that was my experience.

- Nellis

Reply to
Nellis