Tiida wont start

Sisters 2008 Tiida intermittently wont start. Cranks over but doesnt start. As luck would have it, it wont play up at Dealers so as far as they are concerned there is no problem. Blog sites have plenty of people with same complaint and only vague suggestions of fuel pump/regulator problems. No hard and fast cure. Leaves it for a while and it may start. Will do it 6 times in day and then not for a few days. Any suggestions? Many thanks John

Reply to
John

"John" wrote in news:ilcq8o$2jv$ snipped-for-privacy@news-01.bur.connect.com.au:

A "cranks,but no start" problem is either no fuel or no spark.

there's a RELAY that energizes the fuel pump,if it's intermittent,there's not enough fuel pressure,the motor cranks and won't start. No problem with fuel pump or regulator,just the relay. it won't set a trouble code,either.

initial symptoms are that it starts first thing in the morning,but after it sits in hot weather,then it starts once,dies,and then only cranks. Wait 15-

20 minutes,and the interior cools enough that the relay works again,and the motor starts. it gradually gets worse.

then it could be a bad ignition switch. people who have a lot of stuff on their key rings wear out the ignition switch a lot quicker. the "Run" position takes a beating. But the motor usually at least starts(kick over),but not stay running.

I suspect the Tiida has individual coil packs driven by the ECU,so it can't be a bad coil. An OBD scan would show a bad coil anyways. could be a bad ECU;that's expensive.

I'd swap the main relay first.(for my "hard and fast cure"....)

I had that problem on my Acura Integra,and resoldering the relay PCB solved it. it was a very common problem across Honda/Acuras.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Much obliged Jim, the relay idea sounds most likely. John

Reply to
John