Ball Joint Q.

How difficult is it to press out/in ball joints ? '71 Ghia.

Reply to
Mr. K

I haven=92t done it but you would need to take out the front beam trailing arms and take them to an auto shop and have the new ball joints pressed in or you could buy new trailing arms with the ball joints already installed and do it yourself.

You would also need new seals.

Reply to
Jim Ed

What Jim said.

Sometimes they sit VERY tight in there, a small press won't do it. When pressing the new ball joints in, make sure they go in indexed properly. The BJ cup is marked, and there is a faint little line marked on the arm, those marks need to line up. Under the rubber boot, the BJ stub sits in an elongated slot, it can only move full swing in one direction. If you press them in wrong, you may not have ANY movement or very little, when the suspension tries to move up and down. Then the BJ will likely break or the suspension just won't work at all.

Just about ALL OTHER car ball joints have unobstructed 360 degree full swing range. Just not aircooled VW for some reason. I suppose it makes it last longer when there is more support for the ball/socket contact.

I would look for arms that are already done, like Jim said. Maybe give your old arms as cores and get a core deposit back. That's what I did with a local aircooled VW shop before.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

That was a heluva piece of information. Thanks,

Diesel

Reply to
DogDiesel

Yes, thanks.