How to replace instrument lamps?

I am reposting this question as I was unable to apply the suggestions sent in response to the last post.

What is the proper way to get at the instruments in order to replace lamps in a 1978 bug Cabriolet? There is a steel panel in the front luggage compartment behind the dash but it is held in with a strong sealant of some sort. It seems quite different from my old 1956 bug with no obvious way of getting at the instruments from the luggage compartment. One of the lamps in the clock seems to be out as well.

Reply to
2ndKnight

'78 is a Super Beetle. All Supers, beginning with '73 models require that the speedo be pulled out of the dash to get at the stuff behind. The speedo is only held in by friction on the rubber ring surrounding the speedo. IIRC, the bottom strip containing the rocker switches must come off first though.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Not necessarily ;) In the North American market area I'm sure they were.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Thanks Jim. I will give it a try.

Reply to
2ndKnight

Jan, you know all 78 "Cabriolet's" were a super beetle... you feeling well?

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Oops, I didn't see cabriolet mentioned until.. until.. I just no looked.

My bad.

Reply to
Jan Andersson

IIRC unhook speedo cable from EGR timer box in hood area and carefully pull out speedo to access bulbs. dealer can still order bulbs

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1